Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!  (Read 44187 times)

PublicServiceAnnouncement

• View Profile
Re: DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
@PSA,

I find your (relative) support for night school to be an interesting angle (disclaimer: I am a non-trad considering a night school program, because I am finding my job/career/field is getting moving into an era where law/policy/contract details are becoming more important factors). I am a big fan of the idea that many of the great opportunities in the near future (e.g. next 30-50 years) will be an the intersection of multiple disciplines, and those people that find successful combinations of skills across disciplines can be in a nice position to capitalize.

An obvious downside to this is the amount of time and effort this takes. Not only does one need to develop skills in multiple fields, be prepared to stay relevant in these area, and the need to make and maintain contacts across said fields. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

One generic modification I would suggest to your career advice would be for those people who are starting out to consider things outside their region. There is no reason to limit your opportunities due to happenstance of your current residence.

Yes, I absolutely agree.  It seems like you have a solid plan and are looking into law school with a clear objective of enhancing your earning prospects within an existing career while not quitting work for 3 years.  MBA programs cater to people like you.  I think the night law "stigma" if there ever was one is largely gone and people view it as a smart way to get ahead.  It is only an extra year if you can hack working and studying.
the night law people I've met have always seemed to be a bit extra bright and motivated as a group. 

I would add to my original advice that you could talk to lawyers and find out what their bread and butter business clients do.  Typically, there are far less outside lawyers than people working for the client directly as business people.  Often those business jobs are easier to get and possibly pay the same or more.

jennid1234

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »
Go to law school and complete your JD degree or get a graduate degree ONLINE.  The money you will save will be put to better use and the degree will be the same 10 years down the road. 

http://www.lawjobs.com/newsandviews/LawArticle.jsp?id=1202425745957&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »
Edit: Jack, if there's a link to something not remotely law-related in a poster's signature line, best move is just to report it and move on. Just another damned spammer.

What is legislations school?  Is that what they call it in the UK?

What is "good work."   I know plenty of extremely qualified attorneys working for less than 60  grand a year and making payments on $100,000+ loans.  For a large minority of law students, they could have made just as much money in a different industry and incurred much less debt.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »
@PSA,

I find your (relative) support for night school to be an interesting angle (disclaimer: I am a non-trad considering a night school program, because I am finding my job/career/field is getting moving into an era where law/policy/contract details are becoming more important factors). I am a big fan of the idea that many of the great opportunities in the near future (e.g. next 30-50 years) will be an the intersection of multiple disciplines, and those people that find successful combinations of skills across disciplines can be in a nice position to capitalize.

An obvious downside to this is the amount of time and effort this takes. Not only does one need to develop skills in multiple fields, be prepared to stay relevant in these area, and the need to make and maintain contacts across said fields. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

One generic modification I would suggest to your career advice would be for those people who are starting out to consider things outside their region. There is no reason to limit your opportunities due to happenstance of your current residence.

Yes, I absolutely agree.  It seems like you have a solid plan and are looking into law school with a clear objective of enhancing your earning prospects within an existing career while not quitting work for 3 years.  MBA programs cater to people like you.  I think the night law "stigma" if there ever was one is largely gone and people view it as a smart way to get ahead.  It is only an extra year if you can hack working and studying.
the night law people I've met have always seemed to be a bit extra bright and motivated as a group. 

I would add to my original advice that you could talk to lawyers and find out what their bread and butter business clients do.  Typically, there are far less outside lawyers than people working for the client directly as business people.  Often those business jobs are easier to get and possibly pay the same or more.

Now that subsidized loans are no longer given to graduate students, keeping your job and going to school at night seems more and more practical.  It takes only one year longer, and the debt will be far less.  I currently go at night and although I was worried my job might interfere, I'm so glad I did it especially because most of us didn't know the subsidized loans were going to be cut this year.  There are a few recent undergrads that decided to go the same route.  I was able to pay for about half my tuition the first year and about a third this year in addition to not taking out additional credit-based loans for living expenses.   Although this may not seem ideal for everyone, even working just part-time to pay for living expenses will help.  $150k in debt is not joke when there are very few job prospects out there.  If your job is not law-related you can quit your fourth year to get your intern/externship experience.  You will be busy.  There will be times where you feel like you are busy every minute of everyday, but it can be done if you have the right mindset.  Good luck with whatever you decide haus.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2012, 03:22:33 AM »
I know law school is tough and it may suck out the life out of you but it doesn't mean I could never become a successful lawyer.

cooley3L

« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2012, 04:52:47 AM »
I know law school is tough and it may suck out the life out of you but it doesn't mean I could never become a successful lawyer.
that wasn't even the main argument. And whats up with drudging up the dead high school threads? What the heck? Come on brother.