Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!  (Read 44524 times)

rotaryroadster

• View Profile
Re: DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »
Well, its been a long time since I was in High School in the UK. I'm moving to the USA to study law with the very real expectation of being self employed afterwards. I fully intend to move into patent, bankruptcy, real estate law and work towards setting up my own practice to this end.

I'm 26, left my University with a BA in business n Marketing. No job prospects but by that time University/school was more of a hobby since I'd been flipping properties all academic years since I was 18. I've gained some great life experience and business skills but ultimately I feel I haven't pushed myself hard enough intellectually.

I can't call myself typical by any means but I don't want to work my arse off and slave away at a prestigious school/practice to get a vaunted title and punishing work schedule just to make "partner" (just like the other 100 or so already in the firm).

Rant over..

My point was that not everyone will be going to school for the same jobs. Some of us on here might actually make a few for others!

perezr8

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 01:04:01 PM »
This guy ia an a-hole. Being a lawyer is just like any other job. Your going to have to network and work your way to the top. You could get a job as a municipal public defender just to get you feet wet. You only get paid 40,000-50,000 a year with that but you could also have private clients on the side.

Who ever that person is was obviously looking to have a 160k job fresh out of school. He really doesn't give a rats ass about helping people.

As a Lawyer you are a self contractor. You are the product you sell. Im not taking about selling you self to firms. You have to sell your self to clients. If not you'll never be retained and never make any money.

squireJons

• beware the law school scam
    • View Profile
    • lawschoolscam.blogspot.com
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 06:18:58 AM »
the original poster is correct. Law is a hopelessly overcrowded field. I say this as a lawyer, one who barely makes a living at it.

Most law school grads have to get out of the legal profession entirely because they cannot make a living at it.

the statistics on jobs and salaries are inflated and faked by the law schools and the NALP.

Beware of the Law School Scam, kids!
see http://www.lawschoolscam.blogspot.com

musicgrl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 10:01:15 PM »
Wow, way to be  a dream crusher. I'm really not going to take your advice because nothing can stop me from what I want to do.

Squirrelballs

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »
It's true law school is a bottomed-out, dying profession. This is a fact REGARDLESS of where one goes to school. All this talk of "second tier beats third tier" like playing rock, paper scissors is STUPID. If you want to rake up a $100K in debt to PRAY to make $45K a year, then law school is your friend. I went to law school (fourth tier) and have finally, through penny-pinching, paid my $100K debt down to about $50K. And that's while making a $53K a year salary. It burns me to know I still owe as much as I do. I am 33. There is another lawyer in my office who makes the same amount as I do, went to a "first tier" school vs my "fourth tier" school. She even commented "look where it got me." Exactly. She went to a way "better" law school, plus she has a master's from Harvard, and all it got her was twice the debt at the same age as me. She still owes about $100K. I would rather owe my debt than hers and keep my crappy fourth tier degree. Being that much closer to getting out of this financial moneypit disaster is way more valuable than having a "better" degree.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 02:23:44 PM »
It's true law school is a bottomed-out, dying profession. This is a fact REGARDLESS of where one goes to school. All this talk of "second tier beats third tier" like playing rock, paper scissors is STUPID. If you want to rake up a $100K in debt to PRAY to make $45K a year, then law school is your friend. I went to law school (fourth tier) and have finally, through penny-pinching, paid my $100K debt down to about $50K. And that's while making a $53K a year salary. It burns me to know I still owe as much as I do. I am 33. There is another lawyer in my office who makes the same amount as I do, went to a "first tier" school vs my "fourth tier" school. She even commented "look where it got me." Exactly. She went to a way "better" law school, plus she has a master's from Harvard, and all it got her was twice the debt at the same age as me. She still owes about $100K. I would rather owe my debt than hers and keep my crappy fourth tier degree. Being that much closer to getting out of this financial moneypit disaster is way more valuable than having a "better" degree.

Not to nitpick, but your criticisms here are not about the legal profession or law school, but about the massive amount of debt that usually accompanies a law degree.  (I am not suggesting, by the way, that I disagree that that's a pretty big problem.)

Sorry it's been so tough for you to dig your way out of the hole.  Hope your prospects are brightening.  :)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

MEMEMEME

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 04:18:44 PM »
Stop whining. It is better than living in a third world country and working your ass off to only starve.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 05:52:40 PM »
Unsustainable debt seems to be a running theme wherever one looks these days...

Stop whining. It is better than living in a third world country and working your ass off to only starve.

sashlxi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Law school is not worth the 100K+ debt you will incur and the 30K job prospects you will have later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
Even T4 Grads with a 2.05 graduating GPA start out at around $50K, PLUS the Govt has it as income based payback now(if you F'up and make less than $20K the payment is ZERO each month, PLUS after 25 years it's AUTOMATICLY expunged debt!)

So, if you'd prefer to cry and see clothes at the mall, go for it. Just STFU on the way out,  :-X :'(

Law school is not worth the 100K+ debt you will incur and the 30K job prospects you will have later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/