Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you give your seat up for an old lady?  (Read 2349 times)

Victor

Would you give your seat up for an old lady?
« on: September 25, 2004, 07:04:25 AM »
Damn NYC is looks nice in the fall. Yup its that time. It's time to start looking for a leather coat and ear muffs. Are snorkels still in style? I dont think they will ever get old. Damn . .  Jets have a bye this week . . . guess I gotta watch these stinking Giants . . . oh well.

Anyway I was done buying some vinyls to sample up in Manhattan so I took the A Train home, I was standing up at first . ..  then I saw an open seat . . . I noticed some dude in a business suit that was standing up had his eye on the seat too . ..  so a brotha pulled out like Justin Gatlin and ran for that seat. HAHA . . . the business dude tried though but I won. I was mad happy . . . so I got all comfy.

I was just zoning out, chillin, creating logic games in my mind and solving them, day dreaming about this butter peacan rican chick in my Earth Science class that i'm tryin to hit, thinking about the $7 dollar hoagie im about to buy (with chips and Ice Tea and a donut with special frosting), etc etc . . .

And then all of sudden some old lady tapped me on my shoulders . . . in my mind I was like "WTF?"

I was about to swing on the person but I saw it was an old lady . . . so I held back my arm for this one time.

Anyway she said "May I have this seat?" . . . to me she looked like she was only 60 or something. So I gave her a signal that I didnt want to get up. She was old but she wasnt that old . . nawmean?

Anyway, this Golden Girl starts going on and on about how I'm not a gentleman, how i'm mean, and so forth. I start humming to myself and pretended like she wasnt on the train. And then this couple agreed with her. They said I was wrong for that. I think the guy was just trying to get some brownie points with his girl. Cuz if he was alone it probably be a different story.

People of LSD, what do you think? do you think i'm mean for that? would you give up your seat for a 60 year old?

Keep in my mind, in NYC, on the trains people wouldnt get up for a pregant lady. They would just go back to reading newspapers. So for this lady to ask me was kind of bizarre. Also, I was holding a whole bunch of vinyls, I just didnt feel like getting up. You feel me?

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would you give your seat up for an old lady?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 07:05:07 AM »
Why are you up so early on a Saturday?

Victor

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 07:14:23 AM »
Why are you up so early on a Saturday?

Oh what up kgd2b1, I got class in a couple of minutes. How about you? Dont tell me you woke up early just to watch Lizzy McGuire and Raven.

I remember when I used to wake up early just to watch Saved by the Bell though. And if my brother overslept he would be mad at me cuz I didnt wake him up . . . LOL

Yup . . . Saved by the Bell . . a bowl of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch in my pajamas . . . thats whats up.  :)

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 07:16:56 AM »
People of LSD, what do you think? do you think i'm mean for that? would you give up your seat for a 60 year old?

Keep in my mind, in NYC, on the trains people wouldnt get up for a pregant lady. They would just go back to reading newspapers. So for this lady to ask me was kind of bizarre. Also, I was holding a whole bunch of vinyls, I just didnt feel like getting up. You feel me?

Yeah dude, that's poor.  You should have given up the seat.  But the couple that was bitching at you doesn't have any room to talk.  The dude could have given up his seat as easily as you.

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 07:21:18 AM »
Heh.  Saved by the Bell.  That was awesome.  But I can do you one better....I remember getting up early to watch the Smurfs!

I'm up at this ungodly hour because I'm trying to hawk a bunch of crap I don't want any more at a neighborhood yard sale today.  Plus, I'm leaving tomorrow for my Tour-o'-the-South LS visits and I have a bazillion things to do.  I couldn't afford to sleep in  :'(

Tom

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 08:32:59 AM »
Yes, I would give my seat up for a woman of any age.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 08:40:24 AM »
I would have given up my seat as well. Especially cince she asked. Even at 60 people can have some health problems that might make it difficult to stand. My Grandma's like 65 and she just had a hip replacment. Plus its always bettter to error on the side of politness and being nice. :)

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 09:34:17 AM »
I would've given up my seat.  Whenever I ride the METRO in Houston, I give up my seat for pregnant women, and older wo/men.

But, ya know, I was raised right.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 09:54:16 AM »
People on the T in Boston are horrible about this.  A woman two days from labor wouldn't get a seat on most trains.  On the B line, it tends to be the BC and BU students that are either too rude or too oblivious to get up.  On commuter rail trains it's just people communting to and from work.

I give up my seat whenever I have one.  And I have a lot of respect for other people I see giving up seats to the elderly or pregnant women.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2004, 10:35:25 AM »
A few times in NY when I offered my seat to people, I got odd looks like I was from another planet.  After that I wasn't quite as proactive about it (but if the lady was rather pregnant or old, yes).  And I would certainly do it if asked.

I agree though about the guy in the couple