Law School Discussion

"Have you ever been arrested, charged, convicted, etc?"

Re: "Have you ever been arrested, charged, convicted, etc?"
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 07:06:23 PM »

I am planning to stay in my state (Georgia). I do have alot of support and plenty of friends in the program as well as a great sponsor. If I get a great LSAT score, I will apply to other schools in say the DC area or Northeast. If that is the case I will get connected well ahead of time. Thanks again for your posts.

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 08:51:46 AM »
  The next few years I was partying pretty hard but maintaining a 3.0.

That was my favorite part.

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 09:04:12 AM »
The bar views drug addiction as natural human problems. You should be fine. The hardest things to explain to the bar are those of moral turpitude... (Fraud, forgery etc...).

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 10:08:10 AM »
The bar views drug addiction as natural human problems. You should be fine. The hardest things to explain to the bar are those of moral turpitude... (Fraud, forgery etc...).

I have no issues with that..I think... you never know what will come out of the woodwork!!..no seriously..I don't.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 10:23:24 AM »
When I was fifteen I was arrested for selling a little refer on school grounds and spent three days in juvie.  I was offered a reduced sentence (misdemeanor) if I remained in jail for 10 more days but I was pretty freaked out so I told the judge I would rather keep the felony charge.  I immediately stopped all drug use and when I was 18 I had my record sealed.  This was fifteen years ago but since this is a little worse than DUI charges, do you think that I can still get in to LS and be admitted to the Bar? :-\

Thanks for the advise

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 10:28:43 AM »
When I was fifteen I was arrested for selling a little refer on school grounds and spent three days in juvie.  I was offered a reduced sentence (misdemeanor) if I remained in jail for 10 more days but I was pretty freaked out so I told the judge I would rather keep the felony charge.  I immediately stopped all drug use and when I was 18 I had my record sealed.  This was fifteen years ago but since this is a little worse than DUI charges, do you think that I can still get in to LS and be admitted to the Bar? :-\

Thanks for the advise

I am not one to speculate. I would think so but do not quote me. I do have another question. Do DUI's go off your record after 7 years? How do you get your record sealed? Is there a time limit for criminal offenses? I thought there was but I am looking for official advice.

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »

Thanks for the advise

My best guess: Yes and Yes.

Explain it the same way you did here, add why this experince made you a btter person today blah, blah, bet you have no problems. Good luck

Thank you so much Matthies!

I'm still a little nervous about stating the word "felony" but I'll just have to write a great statement, hope for a stellar LSAT score, and hold my breath.  :)

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 05:32:30 PM »
Very Well said..