Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legacy Status  (Read 1676 times)

South

• View Profile
    • Email
Legacy Status
« on: October 08, 2007, 03:44:50 AM »
Exactly how much of an advantage does being a legacy give you? I'm sure it differs from school to school, but on a whole--maybe more so at the t14 schools--does it really make a big difference? I am a legacy at a t14 school, and am wondering what that will actually do for me.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Status
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 02:00:30 AM »
Exactly how much of an advantage does being a legacy give you? I'm sure it differs from school to school, but on a whole--maybe more so at the t14 schools--does it really make a big difference? I am a legacy at a t14 school, and am wondering what that will actually do for me.

Probably not much.  Law School admissions are far more numbers-driven (and therefore at least arguably more meritocratic) than college, where legacy can sometimes play a big role.  There's a lot more pressure on law schools to produce quality professionals, so they're not going to take a dumb kid just because his dad went there. 

It may act as a slight tipping factor, such that if your numbers are at the median in both categories, it may help ensure admission.  I would doubt it would do much for for you unless your parent was also a major donor, or otherwise connected with the school administration.  The slots are simply too competitive these days for allow much else, especially at the T14.

chunkylover53

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:04:02 AM »
depends on how prominent your relative is. if your dad is giving the school a boat load of money, then law schools don't give a rats ass about one admission seat and would gladly give that up to keep the donors happy. in other cases, i guess it depends on how active your dad is involved in the community. i am assuming it is your dad- i went off on what lindberg said .

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:49:20 PM »
depends on how prominent your relative is. if your dad is giving the school a boat load of money, then law schools don't give a rats ass about one admission seat and would gladly give that up to keep the donors happy. in other cases, i guess it depends on how active your dad is involved in the community. i am assuming it is your dad- i went off on what lindberg said .

Bingo, it could mean nothing or everything depending on who your relative is and how much they give to the school.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School