Law School Discussion

Question for current 1Ls

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Question for current 1Ls
« on: October 06, 2007, 10:00:48 PM »
So uh . . .how's Life in Law School/Hell?

Still think that us old-timers were just complaining about nuthin?
Still think that all you have to do is stay up on your reading and Law School will be a breeze?

Have ya had the meltdown yet or are you waiting until reading period?

Ha!

Just wonderin'

How's that Memo comin'? You started Outlining?

Re: Question for current 1Ls
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 10:10:43 PM »
first memo is done...LWP is p/f so it's not stressful...but apparently my first memo was pretty good for a first try (prof said he would have given it a b+) so i'm happy.

not stressing or outlining yet...my school has a b/b+ curve and at the end of the day, i'm still gonna get a job...so that takes the pressure of (and I have no LR aspirations so i'm good to go).

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 11:10:32 PM »

Good!  Actually, I'm having fun!

Nope, but otoh it's definitely not unmanageable.

Still think that all you have to do is stay up on your reading and Law School will be a breeze?

Kinda.  I mean, I feel challenged but I (mostly) don't feel overwhelmed.  Ask me again during finals!

Nope, no meltdown.  I'm not a meltdown kinda person.

How's that Memo comin'?

Good! I'm 1/3 through and it's not due till Friday.  My prof said that my writing style is pretty good, so that didn't hurt either.

You started Outlining?

Nope, but I have several old outlines for all my classes, so maybe I won't outline at all!

Also, I second mcb about not worried about a job and no LR aspirations.  It seems like too much work and not enough benefit.   :P

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 02:35:42 PM »
You started Outlining?

Nope, but I have several old outlines for all my classes, so maybe I won't outline at all!

I'm gonna need u to add your own spin on those outlines though.  Even if it's copying and pasting from several diff outlines.  You gotta make it your own.  Please don't wait until 2 weeks b4 exams to put it all together.  :)

justGem

• Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »

It's aight, not hell. I guess I could turn it into something like hell if I were gunning for top 10%.  But knowing that my grades are determined by throwing the exams off a stairwell makes me less inclined to overextend myself.

Not "complaining about nuthin", but definitely over-dramatized :-P

Nope, but I didn't have that luxury in undergrad so I definitely didn't have that expectation for law school.

I can't be broken by something I chose to do when there remains an opportunity to opt out.

Thanks to the 3-day weekend I'm halfway done...it's due Friday.  Started outlining this past weekend...a lil bit lost in the sauce with the outlining...I'm going to start over with a less lazy approach.

The biggest obstacle has been figuring out when to eat since class and dinnertime overlap.  Oh, and my disdain for Con Law...both the class and the reading put me to sleep.  My notes for that class are filled with comments like "yhouighjklfaeuui wyuiqa" from my head hitting the laptop. 

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:53:56 AM »
Con Law is your friend.  It may not seem like it now but give it a chance.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »

I'm probably in for a rude awakening.  I've been skipping con law like it's going out of fashion with all these interviews and *&^%.  Figuring hey, I know a thing or two already.  I can skip out on commerce clause classes.

I'm gonna get my ass kicked.  Whatever.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 07:53:55 PM »

I'm probably in for a rude awakening.  I've been skipping con law like it's going out of fashion with all these interviews and *&^%.  Figuring hey, I know a thing or two already.  I can skip out on commerce clause classes.

Actually you are right on schedule to discover the great upperclassman blessing/curse - that you can still get A's or B's in law school after an entire semester devoted to interviewing, never going to class, and only a few days worth of studying before the exam with a trusty outline. 

You'll never look at law school the same ever again.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 08:15:39 PM »

Actually you are right on schedule to discover the great upperclassman blessing/curse - that you can still get A's or B's in law school after an entire semester devoted to interviewing, never going to class, and only a few days worth of studying before the exam with a trusty outline. 

You'll never look at law school the same ever again.

Yeah, I already had a premonition that such was the case.  Now it's time to put that theory to the test!  If I walk out of this semester with a couple of Bs and a NYC firm job I'm a happy man.  Couldn't ask for me.  Well, 'cept a couple of As...but I'm not greedy.  Bs will suffice.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 08:59:58 PM »

Ha!

Just wonderin'

This some bull! lol naw. Its funny theres ALWAYS work to be done. I'm at the point now where I never run out of stuff to do. I got my closed memo back and me prof evicerated it. Open memo draft is due next Monday and I still gotta work on that. And yeah I have started Outlining. Law school is just ALOT. lol I notice like no 1Ls post like that anymore