Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS for Non-trads  (Read 2239 times)

rohan

• View Profile
PS for Non-trads
« on: October 06, 2007, 12:08:14 PM »
Hi, I'm curious about what some of you nontrads are doing for your PS. Are you addressing why law/why the change in your career? It seems that it would be odd not to tell adcomms why you are changing careers after 10+ years in a given field (as in my case, I was an HR Manager/Director for over 10 years). So, in reading the standard advice for PS's, do you think the advice for trads applies to non-trads (ie, don't talk about why you want to go to law school)?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

BlueWhite

• View Profile
Re: PS for Non-trads
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 07:49:22 PM »
You should definitely address why you want to change careers.  I think omitting that would leave schools to wonder whether you actually have a good reason and know wbat you're doing.  In Anna Ivey's book, she writes, "The only people who should be discussing their career goals in a personal statement are older applicants pursuing a career change (admissions offers will want to know)." 

rohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 08:26:59 PM »
Thanks, my plan was to address this and while I know Anna reigns Queen, sometimes it's nice to have her wisdom and your own instincts validated by your peers. KWIM? I only want to go through the apps process once.  ;)

JimmyO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 11:27:04 PM »
I've worked in higher ed in a few different capacities over my 7 years since undergrad, along with a little work in radio and music on the side. What I'm doing with my PS is tying together all my experiences and how they have pointed me in the direction of a legal career. In fact, I come right out and say being an attorney has not been a lifelong goal of mine, but one I've come to after much thought.

scottie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:22:29 PM »
I did a bit of both worlds -- a narrative concerning a particularly challenging endeavor in life which happened to coincide with the catalyst for pursuit of a legal career.
----------------------------------
Why am I doing this again?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=scottieUT

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:16:56 AM »
I haven't written my PS yet, but yes I plan on addressing this. 

I'm not necessarily looking to escape my current career, which is in IT, altogether.  However I'd like to focus on areas of law that relate to IT topics, such as online speech/defamation, security/privacy, software licensing, etc.  From people I've spoken to and some recent cases, lawyers with a background and knowledge here are particularly useful right now. 

I've thought of referencing specific  cases that I've read about, and the incompetency of the legal team regarding technical issues that led to a defeat, and why someone with my background is needed in the legal community as a whole. 

I'm wondering if I should state my true personal goal... "I hope to milk large corporations as I read each and every internal e-mail for the past 10 years for applicability towards a pending case in the the discovery phase for an ungodly amount of hours at $300/per.  Cha-Ching baby!"

qt314

• Sr. Citizen
  • pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 04:31:35 AM »

any non-trads up for a PS swap? i have maybe 3 drafts (all different topics), but the one i'm leaning toward is the "Why Law" PS, primarily because i feel like i have to explain my transition from medicine to law.

the only reason i'm not 100% on it is because there are so many other interesting topics i could talk about. i have one draft about my missionary experience in China, domestic violence and my motivation for public interest law. i have another that talks about what it's like to be Christian and a scientist at the same time (for those who don't know, scientists break the ice with each other by trashing religion, and are ridiculously vociferous on those views whether you want to hear them or not). these other two drafts discuss my decision to go into law, but don't address why i'm leaving medicine.

any takers?
NYU Class of 2011!

66scorer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:32:35 AM »
My PS discusses taking advantage of life's chances.  When you see an opportunity, you take it.  I discuss how I have done this a number of times in my life and how it has made me successful personally and professionally, and how my application to law school is another chance to grab on with both hands.  We shall see if it does me any good. :-\

I will trade PS's with you, borders, if you like, but I am not religious.  I can be objective about how it reads, but ignorant of much of the ecclesiastical nuance.
February '05 LSAT - 157
UGPA 3.11

"Why are we violent but not illiterate?
Because we are taught to read."
Colman McCarthy