Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Colorado  (Read 3004 times)

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Colorado
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »
How feasible is it to get in-state tuition? I'm coming from NY and this is huge for me. Clean air would be pretty awesome  too.

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »
From what I understand, you can get instate tuition at CU after your first year. 

Things to do right when you move to CO:

1.  Register your car with CO.  The cost of this will depend of the value of your car.  If you're driving a new Audi expect to drop at least $700 for plates.
2.  Open a bank account with a local branch, and keep that account indefinitely.
3.  If possible, try to find housing that you'll be able to stay in your second year as well.  I don't think this is a necessity, but I think the longer you can remain at a single residence, the better.

Lastly, make sure you're not receiving any funds whatsoever from mommy and daddy, or if you are, launder it somehow.  I had a couple friends in undergrad lose their opportunity at in-state because CU found out they were still living on their parents' bill.  But I'd contact CU directly for more accurate info.  My input is mostly anecdotal. 

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »
From what I understand, you can get instate tuition at CU after your first year. 

Things to do right when you move to CO:

1.  Register your car with CO.  The cost of this will depend of the value of your car.  If you're driving a new Audi expect to drop at least $700 for plates.
2.  Open a bank account with a local branch, and keep that account indefinitely.
3.  If possible, try to find housing that you'll be able to stay in your second year as well.  I don't think this is a necessity, but I think the longer you can remain at a single residence, the better.

Lastly, make sure you're not receiving any funds whatsoever from mommy and daddy, or if you are, launder it somehow.  I had a couple friends in undergrad lose their opportunity at in-state because CU found out they were still living on their parents' bill.  But I'd contact CU directly for more accurate info.  My input is mostly anecdotal. 

Perfect. Thanks guys.
1) I have no car. Nor do I intend to buy one when I'm living on loans.
2) Is it ok if my balance floats around $100? Ugh.
3) Yeah, no wories there. I'm a grown up. And I despise moving.

Funny how some states make it so you either have to be born there or married to a resident to get in-state and others hsve in-state workshops during orientation.

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »
1.  I don't think you HAVE to have a car.  Just get a CO driver license and CO insurance, or a CO ID if you don't have a license. (?) 
2.  Of course.  A bank doesn't care how much money you give them, just THAT you give it to them.
3.  I was just saying ideally you can rent from a private landlord rather than from a property management company.  Some rental companies make it difficult on you to renew a lease (they like to raise the rent on you if they know you want to stay there). 

Again, call CU and discuss with them your specific concerns.  I'm sure you can find a way.

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »

Eeks...Mea culpa, mea culpa.  This is what happens when you have a Mainer reporting on Western schools.  ;)

A Mainer! I feel like Maine is sort of a Western state...I love Maine about as much as I love Colorado.

I am from Maine and I have lived in Denver before and desperately want to get in to CU. Colorado is gorgeous, has nice weather for a place that has winter, and has a good amount of people in it (unlike Maine).

But I haven't heard from CU yet. I am driving out there tomorrow morning to check out Boulder. I lived in Southern Denver for two years but I never went to Boulder.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »
Is it feasible to not have a car while atending CU?

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 04:12:32 PM »
Waitlisted at CU.

Debating whether to pay the deposit for Denver and see if they offer me any money, or just give up on CO altogether.

"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »
Waitlisted at CU.

Debating whether to pay the deposit for Denver and see if they offer me any money, or just give up on CO altogether.

If Denver is where you want to live I would just bite the bullet. And I am sure that you could grab a little money from them after seat deposits are due. The only way I would say to not go is if you do not want to live in Denver after you graduate.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

hs1046

• 163, 3.82
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 03:50:52 PM »
I'm very interested in CU's potential for out of state career prospects.  This is my only concern about going to school here, otherwise I'd already be there.  I'm from Texas and will return to Texas after graduation.  The career services office at CU made me feel very comfortable about coming there and assured me it shouldn't be a problem for me to gain employment in Texas.  But I'm still not so sure.  I do NOT want to practice in Houston or Dallas, but rather one of the smaller cities (Austin or San Antonio).  I've been told that my career prospects in these cities will be better than in Houston or Dallas which are overrun by Univ. of Houston and SMU grads.

I've been offered a full ride to University of Houston, but would REALLY rather go to CU.  Should I just bite the bullet and go to UH or take my chances with CU?????

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »
In tonight by big envelope. I am absolutely thrilled! Phew. The wait was agonizing but boy am I happy tonight.