Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Colorado  (Read 2996 times)

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Colorado
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:46:03 PM »
I'm interested in hearing from current and former CU-Boulder Law students, especially about career placement:

-big law?
-gov jobs?
-ouut-of-state placement?

Also interested in hearing about collegiality/social life.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Colorado
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 12:36:49 AM »
I can't speak all that specifically about the law school, but...the building is gorgeous, the town and outdoors are amazing, and generally people are happy and social.

The one recent graduate I know has a great job in Aspen doing mostly real estate law. The girl I know who's attending right now says she loves it and everyone is amazing--but she might just be bragging.

DU and CU corner the Denver market and for the most part, CU grads do well in the other mountain states.

Hopefully some LS students will show up soon and give you the real scoop!
CLS 2011

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 06:57:14 PM »
Denver BigLaw is hard to crack in general.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 07:00:24 PM »
I know that it's a big tribal law school, and a significant number of Indians attend (I have it on my list.)  It also trains a lot of natural resource, and Wise Use, lawyers - where Gale Norton and William Myers got their (dubious) starts, IIRC.

Myers went to Denver.

I worked with that guy for over a year. Nice enough, but it was disturbing when I found out exactly who he was.

----------

CU is a great school, great atmosphere, and decently priced. They have a great e-law faculty and programs. The biggest problem with CU is that you're limited to Colorado and its neighboring states. It is your best bet for Denver firms, however (although you're going to need to be in the top 5 or 10 to get summer offers there). Also, SLC will pull more from Utah and BYU, Boise will pull from Idaho, and Arizona has UA and ASU - so you're pretty much looking at Colorado, Wyoming, and maybe Nebraska and New Mexico.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:31:19 PM »
Yeah, if you're a political crony who is good at giving blowjobs.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 09:29:41 PM »
Just want to clear up that CU is responsible for neither Gale Norton nor William Myers--DU trained those two! ;)

DU has a strong alumni network in Denver, but CU is much more regionally respected.

I can understand why so many people want to move to Colorado--it's beautiful--the sunshine and the mountains make people happier (I bet this applies to ls students too). If you're interested in a high quality of life, go to CU and stay in CO.

I'm hoping my family ties to the state will keep my options open here even though I'll be going to school elsewhere...
CLS 2011

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 10:51:51 PM »
CU is awesome.  My bff goes there and she loves it.  I plan to move to the general area when I graduate in May.
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 11:43:17 PM »

Eeks...Mea culpa, mea culpa.  This is what happens when you have a Mainer reporting on Western schools.  ;)

A Mainer! I feel like Maine is sort of a Western state...I love Maine about as much as I love Colorado.
CLS 2011

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 10:02:14 PM »
Are there any students that can speak to these points? Particularly career options..

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
I kinda wish I had chosen to go to DU.  If I had it to do over again I'd prolly choose it over where I ended up.  As I said before I love CO and I love Boulder for the time that I've spent there.  I can't really speak to Denver though.
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/