Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are these professors I should ask for recommendations?  (Read 853 times)

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Are these professors I should ask for recommendations?
« on: October 05, 2007, 10:10:36 AM »
The LOR thing is really stressing me out. I've been out of undergrad for about a year and half now and I have been working full time, so I am definitely going to get my boss to write me a letter, I work for a company that is involved in a certain aspect of law, and I am doing a law related job, so I'm sure that would be a good one, but I really want to get a strong rec. from a professor as well. So here is a list of professors that I have in mind. Which sounds like the best one?

1. I got a B in a specific class, but the professor of that class is someone I want to write a letter of recommendation for me. He is the professor who really knows me the best and who I have spent the most time with outside of class. I did a study abroad program with him and a few other students in addition to having him for a class. Later on, he got elected to the state senate and I visited him in his office and I am going to volunteer for him pretty soon. So is getting an A really a requirement for a good letter of recommendation from a professor?

2. I had this professor for two classes. The first class I got an A in, the second class was actually a senior seminar type class where my only grade was from an extensive research paper on a topic of my choosing, related to my major. I had to meet with this professor each week, one on one in her office to go over drafts of chapters of my research paper. I got an A on the paper. The one on one's in her office stand out as a good reason to ask this professor.

3. I had this professor for one class, which I got an A in. I got A's on all my exams, an A on a presentation, and an A on a paper. At the end of the semester he told me I was a really good student. However, I did not really talk to him outside of class or anything like that.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just want others advice on which professor seems like the best one to ask and the one that can write me the most effective letter. Thanks for any input.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are these professors I should ask for recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:45:09 AM »
use prof 1 and 2. you don't necessarily need a letter from your boss...
CLS 2011

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are these professors I should ask for recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:01:22 AM »
use prof 1 and 2. you don't necessarily need a letter from your boss...

Thanks. I know I don't need the letter from my boss, but I don't think it would hurt.