Law School Discussion

« on: October 04, 2007, 05:51:23 PM »

cpg

Re: URM and not planning to write a diversity statement...?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 07:13:49 AM »
May not be essential but, in my very limited knowledge it would seem, as an URM, advantageous.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 05:35:20 PM »
I'm a URM (African-American female) and it hadn't even occurred to me to write a diversity statement. I didn't realize the diversity statement was becoming such a mainstay of the application. (For anyone who has read any of my few posts on this board, it should not be surprising that, as usual, I have no idea what's going on!)

Also, I didn't explicitly see any requests for a diversity statement on the applications to the schools I'm applying to. All I see are vague invitations for additional information if the applicant sees fit. Is that supposed to be my cue? Help! I'm applying to the following schools. Someone tell me if a diversity statement is a must:

Harvard
Yale
Columbia
NYU
Georgetown
Virginia

I think the lower your scores, the more information you need to provide and the better your overall application has to be. For example, if you have a 165 and a 3.7, I'd send off a perfect diversity letter to Yale in addition to your 250 and PS. I advised a friend to do this and she got in everywhere she applied including HYS. If your numbers are within the 50% I would only give them extra information if they requested it. You don't want to give them a reason NOT to let you in and an essay is always another way to evaluate you. So it is a calculated risk imo especially for Yale. Other schools actually welcome diversity statements for the most part.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 08:57:19 AM »
Hopefully your URM status isn't the only diverse thing about you.  Your diversity statement can be about anything that makes you diverse.  Mine was about my family/national background.  I agree with Galt that it's more crucial the lower your scores are, but think it's still important in the "murky middle" (25-75%)  This is where you really want to differentiate yourself from all the other applicants who may be from similar backgrounds and/or have similar numbers.  The ds should share something different about you than your ps.  Also for schools that don't have AA (Boalt, Michigan), you have to show your diversity, checking a box isn't enough.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 09:03:37 AM »
What if you already address diversity in your personal statement? In a way, you can kill two birds with one stone by doing so. And if you're already planning on discussing it, sending an additional essay may be redundant. I guess it's a case by case issue. Thoughts?

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »
I wrote one, but I didn't send it with any of my applications.