Law School Discussion

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:03:29 PM »

ghil04

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starting off PS with discussion of a massacre...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 10:32:23 AM »
If it's gonna cause them to cringe, I would scrap it, but if it's just enough to capture their attention without spoiling their appetite, than it should be alright. 

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »
I'm interested. Keep it.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:39:04 PM »
Why don't you post part of it here and we'll tell you if we vomit inadvertently.

Why not.  Very rough draft of the first paragraph (much more of the PS is done, but this was the recent addition.)

I came across the paper while rifling through a dusty red leather volume entitled Bulletins of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society, 1940-1945.  The binding was stiff, and I suspected mine were the first hands to open the book since some long retired librarian stamped “Property of” on the inside cover.  It was relatively brief and succinct, but in a narrative style abandoned decades ago in the wake of archaeologists’ promotion from art historians to scientists.  A previously undisturbed Late Woodland burial site, less than a half-mile from the Cape Cod shore.  A dozen skeletons, most with evidence of severe ante-mortem injuries; “parry fractures” of the forearms and skull trauma.  They were “properly” interred, flex-buried and facing east, but with no other ceremonial trappings typical of the period; no shell beads or personal possessions.  Most surprising, however; they were all women and children.

Too gruesome?

I really like it.  That's the kind of opener that you need.  I want to read the rest now.