Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need the knowledge of New Yorkers  (Read 1056 times)

kormybear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Need the knowledge of New Yorkers
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:25:25 PM »
I'm married with one kid and one on the way.  I work to support my family (two UG educations), and my wife and I both love NYC.  In fact, based on school rep. and my GPA/LSAT, it looks like Fordham and Brooklyn law, maybe Cardozo at Yeshiva are in my top five.  But we both have strong doubts about being able to afford living in the city.  How hard would it be to get Loans/Grants to cover Tuition, 2 BDROMs, and food/subway passes for a family of four (two kids under three)? I won't be working during law school and my wife wouldn't work more than part time.  Could we do it?

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need the knowledge of New Yorkers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:03:26 PM »
it'll be hard, but i think it can be done. You will have to take out a large amt of loans for the col here and the close to $40k per/yr tuition at any of the law schools you named.  depending on the neighborhood, a 2 bdrm apt can cost anywhere from $900 (in a not so great neighborhood) - $1800 (in the better neighborhoods).  more than likely, your apt will not have a washer and dryer, so you'll have to factor in how much you'll spend on laundry each week & you'll probably have to pay for utilities.
i spend anywhere from $50 - $75 a week on groceries for me & my son. depending on how much you like to eat, (b/c me & my son like to eat a lot) it should cost you a just little bit more w/small children.
children under 5 don't have to pay for public transportation, so you're good in this area...for now!  :)

there's no doubt it'll be expensive, but if this is where you want to be, you'll be able to do it. 

eagles456

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:48:04 PM »
Honestly, no. I hate to say it, but as a resident of NYC I can say there's absolutely no way that you can support a family on loans. You'll barely be able to support yourself on loans for the first year, much less a family. Look at what each school allots for living expenses (TCE minus tuition/fees), then figure in about $1400 a month for rent and see how much you have left over for EVERYTHING else.

kormybear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:46:40 AM »
Thanks for the info it's been really helpful.  My wife and I are gonna pass on NYC for law school.  We'll just keep it as a favorite vacation spot!

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »
I'm just going to throw it out there... first, there will be very few places where the loans will support a family of four.  Even in places with cheaper COL, the amount of loans you can receive are reduced to reflect the COL.  Second, consider that once you graduate, you will have to support a family of four on your salary minus loan repayments.  At the range of schools you are looking at, Biglaw jobs will go to a minority of students.  Think about a 50k salary - 15k in loan payments a year.  35k for a family of four isn't much, and certainly not doable in the NY area.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:40 AM »
I agree with the poster who said this just isn't doable unfortunately.  Even with a comfortable job - just supporting a SINGLE full-time working person living in a STUDIO in a somewhat decent neighborhood - it's pretty tough to afford living in the city.  There is absolutely no way that loans will support the three of you.  Hate to say it.

If it's necessary for you to be in New York, I would suggest you look for a 2 BR in Queens or Brooklyn - although the latter has gotten obscenely expensive so that might not even be an option.  And by the way - "loving" the city on vacation and "loving LIVING" in the city are two entirely different things.  You might not feel this way having a young child without the funds to provide a comfortable upbringing for them for three years.

EDIT: Where are these mythical $1800 2 BRs?!?!  They're $1800 in the NOT so great neighborhoods.  Good 2 BRs in decent neighborhoods are at the VERY LEAST $2500!

1375 in bayside queens for my 2BR, would have been less in flushing which isnt THAT bad, just a little hard to exist in if you dont know Korean.  be willing to commute a bit and the prices will drop.

qt314

• Sr. Citizen
  • pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:56:09 AM »
I agree with the poster who said this just isn't doable unfortunately.  Even with a comfortable job - just supporting a SINGLE full-time working person living in a STUDIO in a somewhat decent neighborhood - it's pretty tough to afford living in the city.  There is absolutely no way that loans will support the three of you.  Hate to say it.

If it's necessary for you to be in New York, I would suggest you look for a 2 BR in Queens or Brooklyn - although the latter has gotten obscenely expensive so that might not even be an option.  And by the way - "loving" the city on vacation and "loving LIVING" in the city are two entirely different things.  You might not feel this way having a young child without the funds to provide a comfortable upbringing for them for three years.

EDIT: Where are these mythical $1800 2 BRs?!?!  They're $1800 in the NOT so great neighborhoods.  Good 2 BRs in decent neighborhoods are at the VERY LEAST $2500!

1375 in bayside queens for my 2BR, would have been less in flushing which isnt THAT bad, just a little hard to exist in if you dont know Korean.  be willing to commute a bit and the prices will drop.

i'm planning on living in flushing during law school and paying $1300/month to share with my boyfriend. the commute into the city will be 45 minutes, absolutely doable.
NYU Class of 2011!