Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia ED v Regular admission?  (Read 1258 times)

dirix

• View Profile
Columbia ED v Regular admission?
« on: October 03, 2007, 01:25:11 AM »
So I was wondering whether I should apply to Columbia Early or to wait for my grades to come out this semester.  I know that my chances are very slim, and I don't expect to get in, but I was wondering whether you guys think that waiting will help me substantially or if I should just go ahead, apply, and get my rejection as quickly as possible.  Anyway, I have around a 165 LSAT (I took last week and all of my practice tests were 164-167 and I don't think this one was any different.  My grades suck (2.96), but this semester will end up being my best semester yet, I expect to get a 3.75 or so.  Other factors include a few hours every week tutoring at Boys Hope, working as a volunteer assistant track and field/cross- country coach for my HS (for the past two years after 2 years of running on varsity for my school), and a clerkship at a local firm.  So do you think that this last semester will help enough to make it worth it to wait the extra few months to get the rejection and give me false hope, or should I go ahead and just apply once I get my scores?  I'm URM, obviously...

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia ED v Regular admission?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:17:04 PM »
ED won't offset that 2.96
Columbia 3L

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia ED v Regular admission?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:55:03 PM »
What kind of URM are you?

While you can submit an addendum, it won't really help that you expect great grades this semester.  All ED will do is force them to make a decision (although they can defer) before your new grades have a chance to get to them.

Miss Blues is probably right, there's not much you can to offset having less than a 3.0 when applying to a top 5 school.  You should probably wait to get your scores and then apply.  For better or worse, you'll probably be surprised.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago