Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume for Applications.. 1 or 2 pages?  (Read 1802 times)

FLgirl07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Resume for Applications.. 1 or 2 pages?
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:39:40 PM »
At this point my resume is 1 pg and a quarter.  I've tried to condense it as much as I can, deleting what I thought probably didn't have any value to the adcomms.  Got it down from 1 and two thirds of a page.  I'm just really concerned that no one will bother to look at the second page.  What's the norm?

Also..is this format correct?  What needs to be changed/added/deleted?

Education
Awards
Experience
    Full time
    Part time/Summer
Activities
    Should I separate in college and post-college activities?
Languages

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: Resume for Applications.. 1 or 2 pages?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:57:20 PM »
For law school apps 2 pages is fine.... just make sure you have a reason to make it that long.

As for Polly's question, I put it all on th app and in the resume. You never know who will look at what.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 07:49:36 PM »
At this point my resume is 1 pg and a quarter.  I've tried to condense it as much as I can, deleting what I thought probably didn't have any value to the adcomms.  Got it down from 1 and two thirds of a page.  I'm just really concerned that no one will bother to look at the second page.  What's the norm?

Education
Awards
Experience
    Full time
    Part time/Summer
Activities
Languages

Depends.  If it's fluff, get rid of the fluff.  Mine was two pages of mostly experience (10 years of professional work).
And most resumes go:
Experience
education
awards
activities
etc.....
Justice is tangy....

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 07:55:06 PM »

Education
Awards
Experience
    Full time
    Part time/Summer
Activities
Languages

Depends.  If it's fluff, get rid of the fluff.  Mine was two pages of mostly experience (10 years of professional work).
And most resumes go:
Experience
education
awards
activities
etc.....

Yes, but this is a resume for a law school application, not a job at Kinkos. Unless you have MAJOR post graduate experience, education and academic awards should go first.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 07:57:32 PM »

Education
Awards
Experience
    Full time
    Part time/Summer
Activities
Languages

And most resumes go:
Experience
education
awards
activities
etc.....

Yes, but this is a resume for a law school application, not a job at Kinkos. Unless you have MAJOR post graduate experience, education and academic awards should go first.

If you've been out of school for any significant period of time (i.e. more than a summer), Experience should come first. If you're a fresh graduate, Education comes first.
Michigan '11

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »
Let's be honest: Your resume is an extremely minor part of your application process. They know we're mostly under 25, and many of us don't have great EC's.

So, basically, do whichever you want, and I'm betting it won't matter, short of writing your resume in crayon and spelling your own name wrong.

FLgirl07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 09:12:03 PM »
So I have 1 and 1/2 of a page it seems.  Is that okay?  I don't think I can stretch it any further without listing things that are irrelevant, nor can I condense it further without it eliminating some important accomplishments.  Is it weird to have half a page blank?

FLgirl07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »
Also what fonts are you all using?  I used Book Antiqua, but I'm concerned maybe a certain system may not have it and therefore have difficulty?  Should I just go with Times New Roman since that's standard?

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 09:48:52 PM »
Also what fonts are you all using?  I used Book Antiqua, but I'm concerned maybe a certain system may not have it and therefore have difficulty?  Should I just go with Times New Roman since that's standard?

Again, you are vastly over-thinking this. Use whatever standard, readable font you wish. Book Antigua is fairly standard, as would be Times, Garamond, etc.

Nobody is going to accept or reject you based upon your font choice.  :P

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 03:27:49 PM »

Education
Awards
Experience
    Full time
    Part time/Summer
Activities
Languages

And most resumes go:
Experience
education
awards
activities
etc.....

Easy tiger.
If you have been out of school for more than 4 or 5 years, you should probably list significant experience first.
Kinko's included, folks tend to be more interested in what you've done with your life.  Recently.  If you've spent 5 years sitting on the couch and eating mom's cooking, then yeah list education first.  If, like most who work 4 or 5 years or so, you are involved in a career, it should go first.  It explains the break and highlights one of the increasinlgy importatant acceptance credentialls - real world experience.
No offense, but your education is insulary.  Real world experience, if you have any of significance, can be more important.
BUT, if you are a fresh graduate, list that first.
Justice is tangy....