Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RC Question  (Read 608 times)

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
RC Question
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:17:26 PM »
Thanks to all the people who helped me with the LR Q's. I feel a lot more comfortabl with many question types now. I am wondering if anyone can give me some tips on RC. I seem to understand the passages pretty well and also understand the structure of them faily well every time I read, but
extension questions (the ones author would agree with, or application questions) are giving me hard time because I always pick the second best answer and cannot be sure if my answers are right or wrong. I also have problem with some of the questions that ask me about part of the passage. (ex. Which was not used in the author's attempt to prove his claim) These types of questions tend to be so random that I can barely remember all the things (I do understand the fuction of each passage, but I am not going to remember all the details of them) Could any of you RC gurus help me with these? I would be very thankful.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RC Question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:59:03 PM »
I am sure there is better advice out there - as I sometimes miss these two. I basically just have to look at the choices and ask "do they really give me enough information to say this" I basically pretend I am making a recommendation based off the information in a passage. I need some sort of proof of every word in that answer from somewhere in the text. This can get a little abstract sometimes, and I still miss some..but thats my two cents.
Tulane Class of 2011

Beantown861

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:32:08 AM »
Treat RC questions like Must Be True questions.  Based on the passage, which answer has to be true--that is--any answer that might be true, is an exaggeration, or is half-right half-wrong are all incorrect.  All elements of the answer choice must be proven by the content of the passage, just as all elements of the answer choice must be proven by the stimulus in LR.  The except questions are annoying--the best thing to do is either save them for last or systematically go through a-e and cross off the wrong answers.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 02:25:55 AM »
All elements of the answer choice must be proven by the content of the passage, just as all elements of the answer choice must be proven by the stimulus in LR. 

TITCR

beni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 03:12:14 AM »
For the "which one of these was mentioned in the passage" questions, then like others have said all of the information will be explicitly stated in the passage, and it's just a matter of finding it.  The "author would most likely agree with" questions are essentially extensions of the main point questions, and are probably the hardest of the RC sections in that they're just the sort of questions that either seem right to you or don't.  My recommendation: read.  Just read anything, but read a lot.  People say RC is the hardest section to study for...I guess I'm lucky in that it's never been a problem for me.  I don't have any specific advice to offer, but as far as I can tell, reading a lot of different kinds of material - literature, scientific articles, historical works, and whatever else - is the only way to "get it" for RC.  At some point it should just start making sense.

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 05:24:28 AM »
For the "which one of these was mentioned in the passage" questions, then like others have said all of the information will be explicitly stated in the passage, and it's just a matter of finding it.  The "author would most likely agree with" questions are essentially extensions of the main point questions, and are probably the hardest of the RC sections in that they're just the sort of questions that either seem right to you or don't.  My recommendation: read.  Just read anything, but read a lot.  People say RC is the hardest section to study for...I guess I'm lucky in that it's never been a problem for me.  I don't have any specific advice to offer, but as far as I can tell, reading a lot of different kinds of material - literature, scientific articles, historical works, and whatever else - is the only way to "get it" for RC.  At some point it should just start making sense.

I am not sure if I really agree with you on this one. I have no doubt that you are one of those people who do exceptionally well on RC(since you say so yourself) but I believe I also belong in the category of 'voracious readers'. I did read A LOT but still very much suck at RC. I used to suck pretty bad at LR as well, but since I have learned the right approach and tried to get used to the method, I improved a lot. I believe same thing can happen for RC section as well because I KNOW that this section requires a specific approach for one to do well on it. I can tell this just by looking at how certain structures are used for passages and different types of questions are being asked. I just do not have the right info like how I did for LR section (the Bible, ect.)  :(
Anyone has any more thoughts about the extension questions?