Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Retaking Study Plan.  (Read 878 times)

geegorie

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - geegorie
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - geegorie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Retaking Study Plan.
« on: October 01, 2007, 10:43:55 AM »
Hey guys, I am glad that I am not the only one that feels like I got bent over and taken advantage of the by the Lsat. I myself plan on  canceling and retaking in Dec.

I just asking for some advise on how to start studying again for Dec. I exhausted most of my study materials preparing for Sept. test. Any advise on where and how I should proceed.

My biggest issue is the time element of test. I have ADD, so I tend to waste a lot of time having to re-read the stimulus and AC. But I manage to do fine, most of the time, if I can stay calm and not get stressed out. I have been finishing my prep test, most of the time I only had to guess on maybe two or three questions at the most.

I had been scoring in the mid 160's to lower 170's, the highest being 174 on test 43 a week before the test. My last three prep test were 165, 168, and 174. My raw scores for these test have been 86-93. I figured that I scored at the lowest 74 and at the highest 80.

Not trying to bragging or anything , I just know what I am able to do and I will not settle for anything less than the best I can do. Not into comparing myself to other people.

So those that have any words of wisdom on how I should proceed, I would be forever grateful for any and all help that is given. Thanks in advance guys. Most of you guys are awesome and I do value your advise.

Oh and by the way, the law schools that I plan on applying to do average Lsat scores, so I have to cancel my score in order for me to stay competitive.

Accepted:DU,L&C,MSU$,Idaho$,Nebraska, Gonzaga$$
Rejected:GMU, Missouri-Columbia, Minnesota, Colorado, Washington, GSU, Baylor:(
Wait listed:Oklahoma,Iowa,Richmond, UofU, Penn State:S

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: Retaking Study Plan.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:02:35 PM »
I really can't understand what school you are applying to that still averages, but that's your problem I guess :) Just keep doing prep tests, when you're scoring in the 165+ range there's not much books and courses can do for you - you already know how the test works, all it takes is more experience.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 04:08:15 PM »
Hmm, that's really weird, because after my 156 I called the UMich dean of admissions and asked how they'd consider a retake, and they told me straight up they'd judge by the highest score. UVa I know nothing about.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »
Hmm, that's really weird, because after my 156 I called the UMich dean of admissions and asked how they'd consider a retake, and they told me straight up they'd judge by the highest score. UVa I know nothing about.

http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/Admissions/faq.htm#lsat

I could have sworn that page used to basically say "we'll always take the highest score"

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 05:01:55 PM »
The ABA requires law schools to report score information based on an admitted student's highest score, and therefore, that is the score to which we give the most weight. We do, however, consider the average score as well, because data provided by the Law School Admissions Council suggests that it has the greatest predictive utility. If you have a significant disparity between scores (six or more points), it would be very helpful to address any explanation for the difference in an optional essay or addendum.

This is pretty much literally the same thing as I've said about Harvard. Write an addendum explaining the discrepancy and they will judge you by the highest score. I don't think any top school will always look at just the highest score if there's a noticeable gap, they will want to know why it is so :)

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:33:36 AM »
The ABA requires law schools to report score information based on an admitted student's highest score, and therefore, that is the score to which we give the most weight. We do, however, consider the average score as well, because data provided by the Law School Admissions Council suggests that it has the greatest predictive utility. If you have a significant disparity between scores (six or more points), it would be very helpful to address any explanation for the difference in an optional essay or addendum.

This is pretty much literally the same thing as I've said about Harvard. Write an addendum explaining the discrepancy and they will judge you by the highest score. I don't think any top school will always look at just the highest score if there's a noticeable gap, they will want to know why it is so :)

Do you think even if the school says they take the highest score and doesn't require an addendum that it is still a good idea to provide one anyway?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »
I certainly would. I don't know if it makes a difference, but you have everything to gain and nothing to lose by writing it. If it wasn't necessary, then you wasted 10 minutes of your life, I'm sure that's a sacrifice you can live with :)

hahagiggles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 03:02:03 AM »
I took the LSAT last June, didn't apply last year, and now I'm trying to retake b/c I scored significantly lower than my practice tests.  So, I understand what geegorie is saying.
    But it's been over a year, I've been working, still work full-time (on legal things, but nothing that helps w/ the LSAT or even concentration), and now b/c of an unavoidable jaw-bone surgery right after the test, I'll be taking the test 2 weeks after I auto-donate blood for my surgery and get tested w/ the anesthesiologist.  A little concerned, but still want to try it out.
    I happened to have spoken a few times w/ the dean of UChicago law school and he encouraged me to retake, knowing that I work full time and didn't have time to study.  His reasoning was that it's worth a try b/c the ABA asks that the better score be reported.  He never said that they'll only consider the higher score, however.

My next question was, how are you all preparing for the Dec. 2007 test?  I just spent 2 hours trying to map out my life for the next 6 weeks, w/ out-of-town friends visiting, planned-in time off for doctor's visits.  I have TestMaster's materials, but there is no way I'll be able to do every questions (although, if I don't re-do any that I did last time, I'll have covered all).  I'm trying to take 8 of the most recent tests avaliable during the weekends and some freebie-days I'll try to get from the firm.  But, is it advisable for me to be taking two tests the week before the LSAT?  Will I be burned out?
  Does anyone want to pair/group up as an on-line study group?

Thanks all!  for the Sept. test-takers, hope you all did your best!

killblues

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 03:59:46 AM »
I canceled as well (see my other thread on it), but I'm not taking it til June.

What I've realized after all this is that this test really is one of the hardest I've ever taken, in terms of scoring consistently high on.  But it's also very easy to underestimate.  The test is very learnable, but you have to put a helluva lot of time and energy into it; not something you can just blaze through and "hope for the best".

So yeah, taking it in June.  My plan:

- Take a month-long break this October
- November, start picking apart each test one by one, question by question.  I'm going to type up each LR problem on Word and categorize it (myself) based on difficulty, as well as question type, etc.  (That way I can focus on each question more intensely, and also when the test nears I'll have a solid database of pretty much every test released, lol.  And even if I don't do the whole test each day, and not even every day, I think should have enough time).
- Work on games constantly, maybe take a few sheets with me everytime I get bored on the subway for practice.  I've photocopied every LG I have for practice but I nowhere near got through all of them.  At most I was only able to do every grouping game from the first 10 Actual to the 10 More.  (There are a *lot* of games out there).
- Read a lot for RC.  I may type these up as well, just cause I'm crazy like that.
- Around February/March next year, start taking a preptest every weekend.  Then spend the rest of the week breaking down the preptest question by question.  (For Sept, I made the mistake of just burning through tests and only going through mistakes, instead of going through each question again one by one).  Thankfully I still have about 12 or so untaken tests at my disposal (saved them for "worst case scenario", which apparently has happened lol).

I guess that's the rough plan...for all of you guys that have hit the 170's but not consistently (like me), maybe you should seriously consider taking an extra year.  I mean if you're willing to devote the time it can make a full difference between a 177 and a 167, which is the difference between HYS and not-HYS.  If you think you can do it -- and you've seen it's possible, based on your preptests -- why not?  (For me it'd just mean starting law when I'm 24 instead of 23, and I'm not wiling to give up the best opportunities just cause I'm too impatient to wait another twelve months, lol).

Also, consider realistically how much improvement you'll see in 3 months.  Especially if you have school/work.

Whew, sorry for the ramble.  Good luck!