Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your chosen topic for the writing sample?  (Read 841 times)

redplastic

• View Profile
Your chosen topic for the writing sample?
« on: September 30, 2007, 09:40:30 PM »
Walking tour or 5km run?

Cutwolf

• View Profile
Re: Your chosen topic for the writing sample?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 09:43:50 PM »
deleted

Anchka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 10:00:29 PM »
I chose the run- my response was something along the lines of was successful in the past and wouldn't cost the committee much of it's budget. If my memory is correct the walk would cost  the committee all of it's budget..........something like that (not in those exact words but you get my gist).

walkaway

• Sr. Citizen
  • fuggi regal fantasima
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:25:20 AM »
My essay wasn't even as long as that last post. Jeeze....
ave ave history is on my side...

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

chunkylover53

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:33:25 AM »

lol i skipped through to the end... that was too boring. i chose the walking tour and said the same thing- the run was too alienating, discriminating, and boring (they did it every single year before), and i said it clearly wasn't working since it only brought up modest increase in membership every year. i took the whole 35 mins surprisingly. i finished right before she said pencils down. and i had about like 5 lines of free space left. i dunno if thats a good thing or bad thing. i was the last person in my little classroom to get done... everyone was just done in 10 mins staring at the clock.

traydeuce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:47:35 AM »
To me, it's always hard to choose because, basically, they always have two criteria, and the one option satisfies one criterion and the other option satisfies the other. So they're equally good (or bad) options, and to make an argument you more or less have to claim that one criterion isn't as important. I went with the tour, because the run hadn't attracted many new members in the past, we know that it can't be working because they're still looking to get new members, most of the people who did the run were from out of town, and common sense tells you that only so many people are going to want to do a 5K run, especially if it isn't underwritten by some charity. The tour does cost a lot, but it will attract way more new members and the dues they pay will ultimately make up for the cost. Then again, one could argue it's a misuse of a neighborhood association's funds to spend its whole budget on what's essentially a membership drive when they could be bettering the neighborhood, and so cost should predominate over which event will draw more members.

lila1047

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 01:20:06 AM »
Anybody get the passage about "Professor Morton" and which seminar he should attend? Be a panelist at a conference, or attend a small lecture by an expert? Blither blither.
uh oh, september already? mannn i just took down my christmas ornaments.

prep tests: 174, 173, 172, 171, 170 (seriously)

teamwork is important. there is no 'i' in 'drunk'.

mx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 06:02:49 AM »
Anybody get the passage about "Professor Morton" and which seminar he should attend? Be a panelist at a conference, or attend a small lecture by an expert? Blither blither.
I had that 8)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 04:22:14 PM »

uh oh.