Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deferred and reapply?  (Read 1945 times)

Zoloft Nation

• View Profile
Deferred and reapply?
« on: September 30, 2007, 05:38:19 PM »
Okay all, here's the story...

I deferred admission last year in the top 15. Anyway, I sent in the "re-application" for the defered school but am having some second thoughts due to family obligatons (wife & child) and financial reasons. Should I risk blowing the deferral by applying to schools that would better fit my family/life situation?

Thoughts? Has anyone heard of someone re-applying and running into some serious trouble trying to get out of the deferral commitment or an early decision?

Zoloft Nation

• View Profile
Re: Deferred and reapply?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 05:54:55 PM »
Anybody? Thoughts? Advice?

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »
Unless you signed a contract saying you would not apply to other schools, I do not see how this could hurt you.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 06:08:09 PM »
If you haven't signed anything you're in the clear. The school cannot retract their offer of admission because you apply to other schools. There's also no way that they could know that you apply to other schools either.

tonyp

• Champions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 06:55:31 PM »
If you haven't signed anything you're in the clear. The school cannot retract their offer of admission because you apply to other schools. There's also no way that they could know that you apply to other schools either.

That would probably depend on the terms under which the deferral was granted.  If it was contingent on the OP's agreement not to apply to other schools during the deferral period, the school could very well withdraw the offer.

As a practical matter, folks do reapply with deferrals in hand, and little would probably come of it if the OP chose to do so.  But it's not unheard of for schools to talk to one another regarding applicants (see BigTex). 
The University of Texas School of Law, Class of 2009

runnenaked

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 07:34:53 PM »
A lot of applications ask if you are currently deferring enrollment at another law school.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 07:52:59 PM »
I have never seen this question. They seem to either ask 1. are you curently enrolled, or 2. have you ever been enrolled. If you defer, you are not yet enrolled and therefore, in my opinion, neither of those apply.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 09:16:42 AM »

That would probably depend on the terms under which the deferral was granted.  If it was contingent on the OP's agreement not to apply to other schools during the deferral period, the school could very well withdraw the offer.

Yes, that would be the "If you haven't signed anything" part...

Wurd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 11:47:28 AM »
I agree with the general consensus on this matter.  I, for example, have differed two admissions because it's a tough decision.  I didn't have to sign anything at either school...just let them know by February. I've applied to another couple schools this cycle for the same reasons (family, personal)

I don't see how it hurts   

tonyp

• Champions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »

Yes, that would be the "If you haven't signed anything" part...

The issue is agreement (formation) and terms, not signature.
The University of Texas School of Law, Class of 2009