Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Hastings 1L taking questions  (Read 15270 times)

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
Re: UC Hastings 1L taking questions
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »
What are the prospects for SoCal employment? I got $63K from Loyola and an acceptance from Hastings, not sure which one to take for best chances of finding work in SoCal or internationally?

Is the money from Loyola guaranteed or subject to maintaining a certain GPA? Would you be paying in state or out of state at Hastings the first year? Are you over 23 yrs old?

with you rnumbers there you have a shot at Boalt too especially if you are foreign born.

and what's the Tower's policy on overnight guests?

you can have whoever, whenever, so long as they sign in with the doorman if they arent a student.

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
I've to maintain a gpa of 2.6+ (top65%) for Loyola to keep me on scholarship. Don't tease me with bolt; it's my dream school and yes, I'm foreign-born.
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777

thelawman

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2008, 04:32:42 AM »
you spoke of office hours

are teachers specified to give so many a week or do they voluntary leave their doors open whenever they feel like doing so

thebiggdawg55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2008, 12:18:44 AM »
What are the actual classrooms like? Is everything pretty modern or is it all ancient? Is there wifi everywhere, modern library, new computers, etc.? What about libraray resources?
UC Hastings Class of 2011 !!!!

DLNY

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2008, 11:50:34 PM »
Iím from New York and in not long enough I will be graduating from Penn; what chance do I have of coming back east after 3 years at Hastings?  Iím really starting to like the school from what I read and Iíll be coming to visit soon but will my only prospects for work be in the Bay Area/West Coast, or will I be able to find work in New York?  Brutal truth please

HastingsOneL

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2008, 03:41:44 AM »
thebiggdawg55:  All the classrooms are very nice and modern with power outlets for you laptop for every seat.  Wifi over the whole campus, yes.  The library just underwent an extensive renovation and is less than 1 year old.  it's pretty sweet.  The  My one complaint is that it the classrooms do have a bit of an institutional feel... lots of white.  but almost everything (computers, library, classrooms, refrigerators, microwaves, bathrooms) is new.  The one thing that is NOT new are the lockers.  Functionally the lockers are 100% fine, but they are a funky brown or green color. yuck. 

DLNY: (In addition to information from the post below yours) Give the career services office a call and see what kind of employment opportunities await.  The Alumni Network at UCH is one of the largest and strongest in the country.

Please don't forget that UC Hastings is connected with a larger institution called the University of California, just not an undergraduate campus.  Lawyers nationwide are familiar with UC Hastings and lawyers are responsible for hiring at firms.  If you need recognition from someone outside the legal world to validate your choice in law schools, then feel free to factor BCS rankings, basketball programs, and mascots into your choice.

Hastings1L Woman

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »
As a  female first year at UC Hastings, I am angered and offended by my classmate's characterization of his female colleagues as "As for the women, there is quite a fair share of attractive girls. Almost none are overweight and they are all, for the most part, very intelligent." This sexist comment not only reveals the writer's stupidity, but also degrades the Hastings community. Whoever this poster is, he/she does not represent us, and should keep in mind that being a sexist makes passing the professional responsibility requirement for the bar really hard.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2008, 07:32:02 PM »
As a  female first year at UC Hastings, I am angered and offended by my classmate's characterization of his female colleagues as "As for the women, there is quite a fair share of attractive girls. Almost none are overweight and they are all, for the most part, very intelligent." This sexist comment not only reveals the writer's stupidity, but also degrades the Hastings community. Whoever this poster is, he/she does not represent us, and should keep in mind that being a sexist makes passing the professional responsibility requirement for the bar really hard.

You set the bar for being a sexist quite low.

Hastings1L Woman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2008, 08:00:11 PM »
Rekopter, where would you like the bar to be? High enough so that it's ok to categorically insult the classmate sitting next to you because she's one of the women at Hastings?

As a student at Hastings, it's pretty piggish of the poster to insinuate that he/she goes to school with less than very intelligent women. As an aspiring attorney, the poster should at least be socially aware enough to realize that such comments speak of his/her lack of professionalism and respect for others.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2008, 08:22:40 PM »
Rekopter, where would you like the bar to be? High enough so that it's ok to categorically insult the classmate sitting next to you because she's one of the women at Hastings?

As a student at Hastings, it's pretty piggish of the poster to insinuate that he/she goes to school with less than very intelligent women. As an aspiring attorney, the poster should at least be socially aware enough to realize that such comments speak of his/her lack of professionalism and respect for others.

I guess we read "and they are all, for the most part, very intelligent" differently. It reads more like high praise than "categorically insulting" to me.