Law School Discussion

UC Hastings 1L taking questions

Re: UC Hastings 1L taking questions
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 10:27:01 PM »
Well Credo just answered Rock's question so I'll just answer the other ones since I can't really elaborate on the Tower since I don't live there.

You said about 30% of the class has a shot at mega-firm jobs.  About what percentile is needed to make 80k or more?

Just because you're not in the top 30% doesn't mean you have a 0% shot. I'm not in career services so I wouldn't be able to give you legit information about this question. If you're only shooting for 80k, I wouldn't worry about achieving that. Hastings is a great school and you shouldn't have too much of a problem as long as you're not at the bottom.

What is a typical day for a 1l at Hastings?

And what is the typical size of a 1 br in the tower?

I can't give you dimensions of a typical 1 BR but all I can say is that they are a decent size and they're not easy to get. There are much more studios and efficiencies.

As for a typical day, it's different for everyone, but I'll give you an idea of what mine looks like. I wake up really tired and groggy around 8 a.m., I review the cases for my class (most of which start at 9:40), I sometimes have time for breakfast but if I don't, there's a Starbucks or Burger King right off the Muni (which I take everyday from Mission Bay-20 mins), I go to my locker (all 1Ls get these), then head to class which lasts anywhere from 1-2 hours. During lunch I'll usually grab a sandwich from some spot nearby then go to the library for 3 or 4 hours to read cases for the next day. I'll come home, eat dinner, then either work on my memo or finish reading cases. If I'm not doing one of those, I'll outline. If I'm not doing that, I'm probably drinking at a bar or club.

Would you please, in your opinion, tell us some pro's, and especially con's, of going to UC Hastings as opposed to another law school?  I personally would kill to attend UC Hastings.  Please tell me lots of con's in case I get rejected so I can go over the list again and again.

Ok so pro's are that we have some rock solid professors and everyone is pretty chill here. We get free beer and ice cream and stuff like that. We have lots of panels/discussions/visits/speeches from big attorneys all the time. We have fun student organizations. We have a good number of attractive gals. San Francisco is a kick ass city. We just got a whole building remodeled and it looks great.

Cons (I'll try to make this list longer): SF is a kick ass city but the part of SF we're in totally blows. The Tenderloin can be disagreeable to put it nicely. It's not a very safe area (though students don't get attacked or anything) and it's not clean at all. We don't have a campus, all we have are two huge municipal-looking buildings that aren't very charming. I mean, I could like go on and on about the Loin but I'll tell you some other things. Our school doesn't have that much money so don't expect very many amenities or luxuries. The grading curve is super harsh. We aren't allowed to use Westlaw or Lexis for legal research (I'm not sure how many schools allow you to but I know some do). All the food around here is pretty damn unhealthy (tastes good though). You don't want to park your car around here and if you do, you'll have to pay up your ass for parking. We have a good handful of unattractive girls as well.

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 12:29:56 AM »
my old roommate is also a 1L at hastings and she lives in the tower. maybe you know her? her name's tiffany.

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 01:21:11 AM »
i know a Tiffany D. and Tiffany G.

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 08:07:50 AM »
Would someone please elaborate on the location of UC Hastings and its relation to the so-called 'The Loin'.  So how safe exactly is this school and the area??

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 08:32:02 AM »
Would someone please elaborate on the location of UC Hastings and its relation to the so-called 'The Loin'.  So how safe exactly is this school and the area??

I am a female and I felt comfortable walking to my car after dark. Yes, there are druggies and crazies, but they rarely bother you. Use street smarts and you'll be fine.

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 05:20:55 PM »
The location of the school is at the very outer edges of the Tenderloin so it's really not that bad where we're at as long as you don't stray a couple blocks north. Going east or west   on McAllister is fine since Market is the next street south. I honestly have never felt threatened. You'll learn soon enough what streets not to walk down on certain times of the night. Other than that, I agree with lawgirl. Just be smart and you'll do okay.

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 08:10:03 PM »
Tiff. D! Aha so you know her. Small world  :)

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 05:42:04 PM »
The location of the school is at the very outer edges of the Tenderloin so it's really not that bad where we're at as long as you don't stray a couple blocks north. Going east or west   on McAllister is fine since Market is the next street south. I honestly have never felt threatened. You'll learn soon enough what streets not to walk down on certain times of the night. Other than that, I agree with lawgirl. Just be smart and you'll do okay.

Is the school one building? What is the food like in the surrounding area?

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 08:53:40 PM »

Is the school one building? What is the food like in the surrounding area?

The school is housed in two buildings.  One building (198) is mostly classrooms and the other building (200) has administrative offices, faculty offices and our brand new three floor library (which is awesome).  Both have lots of study space.

Here is a link to both of them. The 200 building is on the left and the 198 building is on the right.  Down the street is student housing located in "the Tower."
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=200+McAllister+St,+San+Francisco,+CA+94102&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.527387,68.115234&ie=UTF8&ll=37.781224,-122.415188&spn=0.00099,0.002079&t=h&z=19&om=1

There are a bunch of good spots to eat in the immediate area (sandwiches, pizza, mexican, etc.) Also, muni is one block away which will get anywhere within the city.

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 11:22:10 PM »
How close are you guys to UCSF?  Are you guys affiliated at all?  I'm asking 'cause I'd like to know what kind of resources from UCSF might be available to UC Hastings students (like, things undergrad offices supply like cheap show tickets, the auditorium, joining their orchestra, clubs, their gym, etc).  'Cause looking at UC Hastings on Google Earth, it's kinda small - there must be a place you guys go to go wild!