Law School Discussion

An unbiased opinion needed

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
An unbiased opinion needed
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:39:00 AM »
Just need some unbiased opinions...

I plan on applying to both Hofstra and Suffolk.  I am from the boston area (therefore state school is not an option), and want to practice divorce/family/personal finance law in the area.  I have good numbers for both schools, and should get a bit of money.  However, personally I live in a $450 a month rent situation with my gf who is in med school near hofstra in long island.  therefore I'd probably be getting a bit of money plus have very cheap living expenses.  If I go to suffolk Id be living with my parents, but have to buy a kia or something to get to the commuter rail and pay for the hour commute by train daily.  However, Suffolk has a very good reputation in the Boston area whereas Hofstra has an okish rep in NYC (but has a family/child fellowship and family law clinic available). 

Granted, all of this is null and void if I get into St. Johns or Villanova (lol), but I'm trying to be realistic, and would appreciate an opinion... I know both schools are expensive, but the fiancee is going to be an anesthesiologist (and is a huge gunner :P), and all of my income will be going to paying off our loans, so while money is a concern, the non biglaw thing wont be an unbearable burden.  This is my situation, and I'd appreciate perspective.  Thanks guys.

Re: An unbiased opinion needed
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »
The practical differences in job opps from those schools are marginal at best. I'd advise going to none of them because the job opps aren't worth the debt you'd incur.

Given your interests, you should minimize your debt, bottom line. You'll probably end up opening a solo practice or working in a small office. That means your income will be below $50K, at least for the first few years.

I'd look into CUNY if I were you.

How will you manage your finances while your fiance is doing her residency? I assume she won't be making too much during that time.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 04:40:56 PM »
You are asking whether you should:

A) Continue to live with your gf/fiancee for 3+ years, or
B) Move in with your parents for 3+ years.

LOL.  Are you kidding me?

If you value your relationship, then you need to be together.  If you choose anything other than Hofstra, you are obviously putting your career over your future marriage.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 05:48:45 AM »
Point taken about the relationship, i feel like a bad person now :(, and first year residency is 45k+ a year, more then enough for two people, and the tax breaks for using your entire salary to pay student loans are quite substantial.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 09:50:06 AM »
Nice that you've seen the light.

Besides, whether you make $40k a year from a JD from Hofstra vs $50k a year from a JD from Suffolk (hypothetically) is essentially meaningless if your fiancee is making $100k+ a year as a doctor (and likely much more).

Don't feel guilty or bad.  Many people make awful decisions in relationships, and most lawyers, doctors, and lawyer-doctor combos end in divorce.  At least this way you have a much better chance of succeeding at a life together, because distance injures a relationship.

I'm glad you made the right decision.  Now, about finances: if you get into Suffolk and Hofstra, or an even better school, perhaps you can parlay that into more money from Hofstra, since law schools like to compete for the students they want.  E.g., if you get into both, you can say that to Hofstra that you'd rather go to Hofstra, but Suffolk also offered you admission.  Is there anything they can do to help you financially at Hofstra?

Even if it's $0, you still at least get to spend 3+ years with your fiancee.  And that is priceless, isn't it?

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:29:32 AM »
Thanks for advice; hofstra gives incredibly high amounts of money to people in my LSN range,  i'm starting to think that it may push me there inevitably

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 10:33:12 AM »

Don't feel guilty or bad.  Many people make awful decisions in relationships, and most lawyers, doctors, and lawyer-doctor combos end in divorce.  At least this way you have a much better chance of succeeding at a life together, because distance injures a relationship.

I missed this before my first post...I pointed out to her that if I use all my income to pay our loans and am doing divorce law, she better not divorce me, or I'll be enjoying a lot of her money, in jest of course :P.  That and she wouldnt eat such excellently prepared dinners.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:53:19 PM »
LOL.  Excellent.

I'm happy to help.

I am willing to advise you further, at this time or later, if you have questions or problems.  PM me in that event.

Take care.