Law School Discussion

Poll

If you were accepted to both schools and were given equal money, which would you choose?

Penn
29 (30.9%)
Chicago
65 (69.1%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Penn vs. Chicago Poll

Re: Penn vs. Chicago Poll
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 04:43:28 PM »

Seriously, Chicago is indeed reputed to be a great school, and as Lindbergh says is legitimately in the top
5, while Penn is a slight level lower, I think. But Chicago has SUCH a heavy bent on ONE side of an open debate, that I'd be worried for several reasons. First, if I didn't have a good background in Economics (just the basics, not biased to either side of the debate) I would be concerned that many law-related opportunities (including eventual employment) would be closed to me. Second, if I didn't agree with the particular side of the debate that they're taking at that school, I'd be worried that even good work done by me might be treated poorly.I think few other schools in the country are so heavily biased toward one side of a given open debate.
I mean, what "economic theory" is Harvard law taught under? What "social science theory" is the foundation of all studies at Stanford? There's no answer to those questions for nearly every top-tier school except Chicago.

IMNSHO. But I'd be delighted to be disabused of any misapprehension ...

Exactly what do you think economic analysis of the law is? I really would love to know where you get this idea that one theory seems to run our school.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 05:00:37 PM »
thanks retake, what you said is useful for me because immigration law is one of my main interests.

You're wrong about Harvard though (not that Harvard ever needed defending) --they've got 5 courses on Immigration and Asylum law offered this year and they've got a clinic on the subject too. And just last year they snatched prominent immigration/human rights prof Gerald Nueman from Columbia...
yeah, my crush on Harvard is just teeny bit bigger than my crush on Penn or Chicago...

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure Nueman comes with an asterisk.  I did my research two application cycles ago so things might have changed.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 07:35:53 PM »

I think Penn is basically a niche school for people who really want to attend a northeastern Ivy, and don't get into HYSCCN.

Or people looking for a joint jd/mba from the Wharton school...

This is my dream!! Though not likely to happen.

argo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 09:42:40 PM »
I went to wharton undergrad, and I assure you with a high degree of confidence that such a dual degree would be perceived as a disandvatage in both business (presumably iBanking or PE) and legal worlds.

All it tells the world is that you are not sure what is it that you want to do in life.