Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you were accepted to both schools and were given equal money, which would you choose?

NYU
 43 (28.9%)
Columbia
 106 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author Topic: NYU vs. Columbia Poll  (Read 8207 times)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: NYU vs. Columbia Poll
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 12:05:37 PM »
Didn't! Sort of hated the atmosphere, and how very clearly corporate it was. Ended up taking Penn off the table (despite deep and abiding Philly love) for the same reason.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

ram2032

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 04:18:59 PM »
I'm honestly not sure about this one.  I went to Columbia undergrad and didn't mind living so far uptown, but I don't know if I could do that again.  Is there really a significant difference in reputations between the two?
3.6/171
Accepted: Duke, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, NYU, Michigan, BC, GW, BU
Rejected: Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Harvard
Waitlisted: Penn, Columbia, Chicago, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ram2032
Georgetown Law '11

Whelk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 07:59:56 PM »
That seems hard to say. I wonder how much substance there is to the claim that NYU has more "eclectic" students than Columbia.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Columbia-- Ivy League. More permanent reputation.
_______
.|E|R|S.

rolen27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 10:11:52 PM »
From what I've heard, NYU is stronger in tax law, international law, clinics, public interest, and philosophy and Columbia is stonger in the most other areas (ie twice as many SCOTUS clerks over a certain time period).

Son of Cicero

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 12:54:49 AM »
Without actually knowing poo about the difference between the two schools, I always sort of had Confused's attitude.  With Columbia, you don't just get prestige amongst lawyers, you get laymen's prestige too--everybody will respect Columbia Law, whereas there's a good chance that some non-lawyer won't know that NYU is prestigious as hell (same goes for Boalt and Chicago, in my opinion at least--this is a Midwesterner speaking).

Honestly, in any field where the degree will have practical use, the boss will probably know the relative prestige of a school.  For the record, I think Boalt has serious prestige among laypeople when it is made clear that it is associated with Berkeley - hence the name change to UC Berkeley School of Law.

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 05:39:48 PM »
I just got a call from the asst. dean of admissions at NYU telling me I was accepted.   Even though I don't think I'll end up there, it was quite the thrill.   

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 05:47:41 PM »
I just got a call from the asst. dean of admissions at NYU telling me I was accepted.   Even though I don't think I'll end up there, it was quite the thrill.   

a begrudging congratulations.  you should feel good about yourself.

Why 'begrudging'? 

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »

a begrudging congratulations.  you should feel good about yourself.

Why 'begrudging'? 

because i don't like you.

You shouldn't congratulate anyone begrudgingly.  It says much more about you, than it does about them.  I hope you're having a great day.

esquirette

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »
The difference between neighborhoods has been talked about extensively, but I think it's also important to talk about facilities.  Since I would be commuting to either school, I would be spending a significant amount of time in the library, and NYU's law library has a much better atmosphere in my opinion.  It feels like a more welcoming place to study, while Columbia's library seems somewhat bleak and dreary to me.  I feel like the difference in what job one would get after graduation is marginal, so I would pick NYU based on its location, nice facilities, and the general vibe I felt when I visited.  I think it's really important to visit both to see which one fits you personally since they're both such great places -- it ultimately comes down to your personality and priorities.