Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you were accepted to both schools and were given equal money, which would you choose?

NYU
 43 (28.9%)
Columbia
 106 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author Topic: NYU vs. Columbia Poll  (Read 8310 times)

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYU vs. Columbia Poll
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »
The difference between neighborhoods has been talked about extensively, but I think it's also important to talk about facilities.  Since I would be commuting to either school, I would be spending a significant amount of time in the library, and NYU's law library has a much better atmosphere in my opinion.  It feels like a more welcoming place to study, while Columbia's library seems somewhat bleak and dreary to me.  I feel like the difference in what job one would get after graduation is marginal, so I would pick NYU based on its location, nice facilities, and the general vibe I felt when I visited.  I think it's really important to visit both to see which one fits you personally since they're both such great places -- it ultimately comes down to your personality and priorities. 

I think that if you're planning to commute, NYU is a much easier place to commute to--more subway lines in the vicinity and you wouldn't be the only person doing it. But that should only be an issue if you already own a place in NYC...
CLS 2011

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 12:13:03 AM »
The difference between neighborhoods has been talked about extensively, but I think it's also important to talk about facilities.  Since I would be commuting to either school, I would be spending a significant amount of time in the library, and NYU's law library has a much better atmosphere in my opinion.  It feels like a more welcoming place to study, while Columbia's library seems somewhat bleak and dreary to me.  I feel like the difference in what job one would get after graduation is marginal, so I would pick NYU based on its location, nice facilities, and the general vibe I felt when I visited.  I think it's really important to visit both to see which one fits you personally since they're both such great places -- it ultimately comes down to your personality and priorities. 

I'm a big fan of going with where you feel a better vibe, but I need to caveat this a little bit.  While NYU's library might have a nicer atmosphere than Columbia's, I'd like to point out that finding a decent study space come finals time is rather difficult.  Or so my NYU sources tell me, anyway.  ;)

esquirette

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »
Granted, but I feel like study space will be tight around finals time wherever you go.  Also, this is kind of a personal issue because I will probably be spending more time in the library than someone who lives closer.  Hopefully I'll manage! NYU also lets students study in classrooms around finals, so hopefully that eases the congestion.

Although I am a fan of the NYU library, I will admit that the views from the classrooms at Columbia are much nicer...  You get to look at the nearby architecture, which I'm a big fan of. 

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
Granted, but I feel like study space will be tight around finals time wherever you go.  Also, this is kind of a personal issue because I will probably be spending more time in the library than someone who lives closer.  Hopefully I'll manage! NYU also lets students study in classrooms around finals, so hopefully that eases the congestion.

Although I am a fan of the NYU library, I will admit that the views from the classrooms at Columbia are much nicer...  You get to look at the nearby architecture, which I'm a big fan of. 

I'm just saying that there seems to be a marked difference.  I've heard complaints about not being able to find any place to sit near finals time, and that definitely doesn't happen here.  On the other hand, it's a relatively minor point, and if you're going to be spending lots of time in the library during non-finals time, the upside might outweigh the downside.

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 09:48:16 AM »

I'm just saying that there seems to be a marked difference.  I've heard complaints about not being able to find any place to sit near finals time, and that definitely doesn't happen here.  On the other hand, it's a relatively minor point, and if you're going to be spending lots of time in the library during non-finals time, the upside might outweigh the downside.

I plan to take the train up to columbia to study during finals time. The long commute will be worth it to have some elbow room in the library. RCT - who won Dean's Cup last week?

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 09:57:04 AM »
I plan to take the train up to columbia to study during finals time. The long commute will be worth it to have some elbow room in the library. RCT - who won Dean's Cup last week?

During finals time, both law libraries only allow students of their own schools inside, so that plan won't work.

And the Dean's Cup is returning to CLS this year.  We're rather pleased about it.

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »

During finals time, both law libraries only allow students of their own schools inside, so that plan won't work.

And the Dean's Cup is returning to CLS this year.  We're rather pleased about it.

kind of figured that...