Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: suggestion...  (Read 830 times)

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
suggestion...
« on: September 25, 2007, 10:59:51 AM »
Maybe its against the rules or something but a list of tutors by region/state and maybe even a rating system would of really helped me out.  Could of saved me from taking this course.  Not that I didnt benefit from it but I would of benefitted more, and saved money, with a good tutor and good materials.

Is there a reason this hasnt been implemented here?  Seems a lot of people end up here looking for this kind of help or info on courses and they would benefit significantly from it.  Save them from courses that might not suit their specific needs.

I imagine tutors/ students might even be willing to pay a small fee for this kind of service if thats what the hold up is?

I'm ready to add one to the list as soon as someone finishes the code.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: suggestion...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:02:03 PM »
It seems that I put my original post in the wrong forum.  If this was any other forum I would tell you, at the very least, that your quite the smart ass. Since this is the "studying for the LSAT" forum I'll assume that explains why your being so critical. 

Sorry I didnt dot my i's, make sure all my grammer was perfect, and use apostrophes and spell check before I hit the "post" button.  Sincerely sorry if I was being too casual for you and your sensitivites. 

There's no need to "clue you in" since you're obviously not my target audience.  If you want to take into account the location of the post, and make an assumption, you might figure out what "...this course..." refers to.

I'll correct my post and submit it somewhere, and to someone, more appropriate.  Thanks for proofreading it for me.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 04:17:14 PM »
I'm not storming off anywhere, that's not the assumption I was talking about. I will be lurking regularly, just in case anyone thought otherwise from my last post... and cared.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 04:22:12 PM »
By the way, you use many grammatical errors. You mistake "its" for "it's", and "could of" and "would of" are ungrammatical. It "should of" been "should HAVE" for example.

Who cares?

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:24:35 AM »
Anyone else have any opinions on the content of my message? 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 11:11:45 AM »
Anyone else have any opinions on the content of my message? 

Yes. I can't figure out what you're trying to ask, because you use too many grammatical errors. I was trying to politely hint at that. If you'd been more clear in your verbal self-expression, I'd perhaps be able to get the gist of your initial post. But unfortunate for you, this post is unintelligible to me, and likely to a wide range of other people. We (me, and likely the wide range) are therefore unable to respond to it.

Don't be absurd.  The OP's post is entirely clear.  He wasted money on an LSAT course that didn't help him, and he had the rather sensible idea that LSDers could generate a directory of well-liked tutors and classes, organized geographically, to help future applicants avoid his mistake.  This kind of picayune sniping gives grammar nazis a bad name.  It also won't be of much help to you if you ever plan to serve non-corporate clients, who often fail to communicate in perfect formal English.

Bricolage raises the two most obvious problems with creating such a directory: (1) given their desire for anonymity, people may be hesitant to post information about their locations and tutors, and (2) given the already-significant number of LSAT tutors on the board, and the amount of conflict they have seen in the past, the directory could easily devolve into a forum for dirty competition, fake reviews, etc.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »
Oh. Missed some of that. Disagree on "The OP's post is entirely clear." Fact: it isn't entirely clear, since at least some of us aren't aware of what he means. By definition, the fact that you had to paraphrase pretty much disproves your very claim. Anyway, now it's beside the point. I didn't know [1] he took an LSAT course (where'd you get that?), got that he liked tutoring, [2] didn't get that he wanted a tutor directory. What about [3] the thing about a code? Maybe you can help me on that one, too.

Maybe its against the rules or something but [2] a list of tutors by region/state and maybe even a rating system would of really helped me out.  [1] Could of saved me from taking this course.  Not that I didnt benefit from it but I would of benefitted more, and saved money, with a good tutor and good materials.

Is there a reason this hasnt been implemented here?  Seems a lot of people end up here looking for this kind of help or info on courses and they would benefit significantly from it.  Save them from courses that might not suit their specific needs.

I imagine tutors/ students might even be willing to pay a small fee for this kind of service if thats what the hold up is?

[3]I'm ready to add one to the list as soon as someone finishes the code.

He is assuming that someone would have to write some kind of computer code in order to create a searchable directory.

Good luck on the reading comp.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 11:39:48 AM »
Love your avatar Miss P.

Don't be absurd.  The OP's post is entirely clear.  He wasted money on an LSAT course that didn't help him, and he had the rather sensible idea that LSDers could generate a directory of well-liked tutors and classes, organized geographically, to help future applicants avoid his mistake.

Thanks you miss P.  While I agree with my critic about the errors being present in my original post, I believe (s)he must be very dense if (s)he can't comprehend any of the points I intended to make with it.  Seriously, put down the microscope, take a step back, and maybe you will see more than you want to.

Bricolage raises the two most obvious problems with creating such a directory: (1) given their desire for anonymity, people may be hesitant to post information about their locations and tutors, and (2) given the already-significant number of LSAT tutors on the board, and the amount of conflict they have seen in the past, the directory could easily devolve into a forum for dirty competition, fake reviews, etc.

Two good points but I think they can both be overcome with foresight.

(1) given their desire for anonymity, people may be hesitant to post information about their locations and tutors

Absolutely, but for every tutor that doesnt want the extra business, or student that doesnt want the opportunity to recommend and help someone that helped them significantly, there is someone out there that does.  (Disclaimer in order to prevent attacks from the premise police: I have no proof of an exact 1:1 ratio but there are clearly people that fall into both categories.)  

So if there are people willing to take advantage of such a service as well as help improve upon it, and if such a service could attract more traffic to the site and in turn increase the money the site recieve from advertising,  then why not implement it?  The fact that there are some people out there that will not take advantage of such a service is surely not a reason to not implement it.

(2) given the already-significant number of LSAT tutors on the board, and the amount of conflict they have seen in the past, the directory could easily devolve into a forum for dirty competition, fake reviews, etc.

It could if we didnt have bright people with the foresight to point out that this problem must be prevented.  For example, maybe only people that were confirmed to recieve tutoring from tutor X, via introduction through this site for example, would be allowed to leave feedback.  

Tutors would be encouraged to point out their tutoring strengths and weaknesses in order to attract the appropriate clientel so that everyone has the best chance to succeed.

I'm sure there are other problems as well as better solutions to these but thats why I brought it up.

Oh and if missed an apostrophe or something, I dont care.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 11:42:22 AM »
I do fine on RC, thank you. I reversed my items (now numbered) 1 and 2, sorry. Couldn't even figure out what I did or didn't know ... humph ...

I'm sorry.  Now you've got me confused. :)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 11:44:46 AM »
Two good points but I think they can both be overcome with foresight.

I hope you're right, and good luck.

You may also want to post this suggestion on the meta board, btw. :)