Law School Discussion

Stupid application questions... hours/week worked

Cheeks

• View Profile
Re: Stupid application questions... hours/week worked
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 09:39:12 AM »
no, i wasn't adding it on my applications ... it was in response to what absy said.

M2

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 09:40:01 AM »
thanks...just clarifying... i wanted to make sure i didn't screw up

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 09:43:14 AM »
I'll encounter a similar dilemma next fall, when I apply:  I will graduate college in less than four years.  Technically, my 'freshman year' consisted of my having the fall semester as a freshman and the spring semester as a sophomore.  I figure I'll just consider my first semester my 'freshman year' and my second semester will be my 'sophomore year.'  If any of the law school ad coms have a problem with that, thatís their own problem.  The apps shouldn't ask such a question and not allow us to explain in detail.

Also, I'm considering my unpaid internships as 'employment.'

Some apps asks Approximate number of hours per week worked for the following years:
Freshman
Sophmore
Junior
Senior

Well during freshman year I worked from November to July. So how do I answer this question?
Tell how many when I was working? get the total and average for the whole school year? (seems silly).

How are you guys answering this?

M2

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 09:44:41 AM »
Also, I'm considering my unpaid internships as 'employment.'[/color]

You dont think that this is unethical?

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2004, 09:46:19 AM »
does employment have to be paid?  i have a summer job with a real estate firm that i got on my own, it was not set up through a university or anything, but it is unpaid.  why would it be wrong to list it as employment?

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2004, 09:51:52 AM »
i personally think that listing unpaid employment is fine (though i don't include it on my app).  Schools are concerned with what else you were doing during school.  As long as you were actually working, and not just sitting around watching tv or something, then I would consider it fine to put on an application.

Some schools specifically say "Employment (paid or unpaid)" so you're good to go on those apps.

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2004, 09:53:51 AM »
and ive never seen an application specify "paid employment" only.  im listing that work because without it i would just have a huge blank summer which would lead the adcoms to believe i sat on my ass for 3months which isnt true.

M2

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2004, 09:58:40 AM »
But then will you still list it under EC/volunteer?
This is the part I wasn't sure of

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2004, 09:59:37 AM »
no, i dont count that as ec or volunteer.  ec is stuff like martial arts, and clubs in college.

M2

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 10:01:19 AM »
I didn't even think to include EC's like martial arts...can we include that??