Law School Discussion

Addendum Help Needed

Whoaz

• View Profile
Addendum Help Needed
« on: September 22, 2007, 07:25:49 PM »
Any tips on how to write an addendum and not sound like a whiny bit(h? I am having immense trouble writing my LSAT addendum. I have what I consider to be good reasons, but I fear the reasons may make me look immature or that I did not plan in advance.

CliffNotes:
-Got an Ok score the first, re-took the next test time, went up 11 pts, and I am retaking this Sep. The last test was over two years ago. Thanks

Whoaz

• View Profile
Re: Addendum Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 08:34:01 PM »
Some schools say they want one if there is a 8+ jump.

First attempt was 15X ---> Second attempt was 16X ---> Hoping for another 5+ jump.

Whoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 12:48:41 PM »
Everyone have the same opinion as Savage?

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 01:12:53 AM »
Wow, there is some really bad advice in this thread.

OK, let's go back to Addendum 101.

The purpose of this thing is to add additional context to some part of your application that will, hopefully, guide adcomms towards a more favorable interpretation of said part of your application's significance.

Let's say you have two LSAT scores. The first time, you got a 150. The second time, you got a 160.

Now, if you don't include an addendum, that is all the information about your scores that schools will have (not counting score bands). What significance will admissions officials draw from them? Who knows. Some will probably disregard the low score, some will probably average, some will draw the conclusion that you are obviously someone who is lacking in an important skill that successful lawyers need, and some will say your scores demonstrate persistence.

If you include an addendum that says something like 'I had a killer hangover on test day the first time,' this will probably yield a net effect of your score being viewed less favorably. In other words, if you're reason guides adcomms towards a more negative interpretation, you should not include an addendum.

However, if you come up with an honest, straightforward explanation for the discrepancy that explains why the second score is more representative of your potential to succeed in law school, then a greater percentage of adcomms will probably arrive at a favorable interpretation than if you had not included it. In other words, if you can offer a plausible explanation that doesn't paint you in a bad light, you should write and include an addendum.

Tone is, of course, difficult. And you are right to be concerned about coming off as a whiner. My advice is just to be candid about what happened, and trust that the people reading your application will have enough common sense to notice the rationality of taking the higher score without your beating them over the head about it.

Whoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 09:41:22 AM »
Thanks