Law School Discussion

Need advice QUICK- Kaplan has ruined my score!

Need advice QUICK- Kaplan has ruined my score!
« on: September 22, 2007, 04:01:35 PM »
Help! I need advice quickly! I didn't know this board existed until a week ago. Meanwhile, my attorney/boss told me that Kaplan was the best way to raise my score. So, I enrolled... before the class, I was scoring 158-159 pretty consistently... every week I "learn" more, my score drops. Today's test resulted in a 150!!! Should I take the LSAT in a week (if for no other reason, than to get my money back through their guarantee- unless somebody here knows if that's a scam too) OR should I forget about the money and postpone until December... studying under my own methods until then?

Re: Need advice QUICK- Kaplan has ruined my score!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »
It would be worth more than 1000 dollars to me not to have a 150 on my record, even with the highest score deal they supposedly use now.

I would buy the powerscore books and take the Dec. test, or wait until next year.

Sorry you got stuck w/ Kaplan, that stinks.  What do they do to people, that they can actually LOWER scores by ten points?  It must be magic!  If only they would use their powers for good, not evil...

S

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »
I think people from powerscore and testmasters have even seen initial score drops when adjusting to the methods and trying to apply those methods under time contraints. 

Pretentious Undergrad

• Pip pip, children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 06:16:33 PM »
Personally, I'd rather have one low score on my record and have the extra thousand-whatever dollars back in my pocket. Most of the schools I'm interested in only care about your highest score anyway.

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:58:26 PM »
I think people from powerscore and testmasters have even seen initial score drops when adjusting to the methods and trying to apply those methods under time contraints. 

When I started using the Bibles, I saw a 5-10 pt score drop for 6 solid weeks.  Then, all of a sudden, it SHOT UP to 4 points HIGER than my diagnostic.  There is an adjustment period to techniques that can only be solved through effective practice sessions.  When it "clicks,"  it is a beautiful thing!

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 03:13:06 PM »
Will you change your name, also?

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »
Try practicing without some of their "esteemed" methods, like reading over the questions before the argument/reading section. I found that move to be a time-waster and counter-productive.

For future advice, try trying more than 1 method when you're studying. Whether an approach works or not is really up to you, some people the kaplan approach clicks, others its powerscore, etc. etc.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 06:18:10 PM »
I doubt anyone really cares, but for what's it worth-- I abandoned the Kaplan method (particularly the RC techniques of Roadmapping & how they determine which order to work passages; LR - [bracket the conclusion] and predit the answer; and LG- draw a master sketch and additional sketches for the "if" questions as conditions change). I've developed my own tactics for all sections and have been working the "Poetgirl" method for a month now... I'm back to consistently scoring 158-159 like I was before I allowed Kaplan to mess with my brain. Since I came up 8 points in a month, I'm confident that I can gain at least a few more over the next 6 weeks.

I really don't think Kaplan is as bad as people portray it.  Perhaps some of their instructors are bad, but I improved 17 points from my diagnostic to test day.  Of course, I wasn't completely using the "Kaplan methods," but I did find some of the information helpful. 

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 06:48:35 PM »
I doubt anyone really cares, but for what's it worth-- I abandoned the Kaplan method (particularly the RC techniques of Roadmapping & how they determine which order to work passages; LR - [bracket the conclusion] and predit the answer; and LG- draw a master sketch and additional sketches for the "if" questions as conditions change). I've developed my own tactics for all sections and have been working the "Poetgirl" method for a month now... I'm back to consistently scoring 158-159 like I was before I allowed Kaplan to mess with my brain. Since I came up 8 points in a month, I'm confident that I can gain at least a few more over the next 6 weeks.

I really don't think Kaplan is as bad as people portray it.  Perhaps some of their instructors are bad, but I improved 17 points from my diagnostic to test day.  Of course, I wasn't completely using the "Kaplan methods," but I did find some of the information helpful. 

I agree.

Kaplan brought me from a 143 to a 171.  It wasn't "magic." I used their methods and studied like hell.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 03:53:04 PM »
I took Testmasters. Sure it helped, but it would've been just as effective if I studied on my own. When the course was over I still wasn't ready to take the test and studied another couple of months.