Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Okay, I'll step up. Texas 1L taking questions.  (Read 2795 times)

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, I'll step up. Texas 1L taking questions.
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 01:14:03 PM »
I love Austin, and that makes UT a big draw for me. However, I do keep hearing that it can be very difficult to find employment in Austin after graduation. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Texas, but I assume that a UT degree goes farther in TX than elsewhere. So I guess my questions are- are UT grads who can't find employment in Austin generally able to find employment elsewhere in the nation, or is a UT degree somewhat limiting in terms of location? And is it easier to find employment in Austin with a degree from a somewhat more prestigious school, or is UT generally favored, and the difficulty of finding a job simply due to low demand?
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

dac

• View Profile
    • Relationship-Buddy
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 10:40:04 PM »
How much will it hurt me in the application process to be "out-of-state" with numbers only around UT's medians?

tonyp

• Champions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »
So I guess my questions are- are UT grads who can't find employment in Austin generally able to find employment elsewhere in the nation, or is a UT degree somewhat limiting in terms of location? And is it easier to find employment in Austin with a degree from a somewhat more prestigious school, or is UT generally favored, and the difficulty of finding a job simply due to low demand?

On the first point, the marketability of a UT degree (at least with respect to OCI) is directly proportional to how well you do within the class.  Folks in the top third haven't had much trouble getting callbacks at biglaw firms  in NY or CA (don't know much about Chicago, and DC is reportedly a far tougher market to get into than any of the above).  Top half plus a (decent) personality will probably get you into a number of firms in Dallas or Houston, though BigTex is pickier.  OCI doesn't seem to do much good for folks in the bottom half.

As to the second, there's some evidence (I'm thinking of the posts of MindTheGap, a Chicago 3L who's occasionally around here) that Texas firms will reach deeper into the class at HYSCCN than UT.  Hardly a remarkable proposition.  As for Austin in particular, though, I'm guessing that a middle-of-the-class Harvard grad is probably in the same boat as the top 10%+LR UT grad--a good shot, but not a lock.  The primary issue with Austin is that it's simply a small market, though not as small as it used to be.  IP shops in particular have been expanding here over the past few years (with Fish growing at probably the fastest clip, going from a half dozen attorneys to 30 in about two years). 
The University of Texas School of Law, Class of 2009

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 10:17:32 PM »
Forget everything in this thread, just go to Kansas State Law...

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »
 :(
At least OU lost too?