Law School Discussion

Timer hurting my score?

Whoaz

• View Profile
Timer hurting my score?
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:57:08 PM »
I think I may go watch-less on testday. I feel like the timer is causing me to worry about time. I have been using LSAT proctor for my last ten tests. I have had the following results...

Tests 1-7: Avg 166-67 (No Timer) Test 8-9: 162,164 (With Timer) 10: 166 (No Timer)

Would it be too risky to go timerless on test day? I seem to get through LR w/ only 2 remaining questions at the five minute mark. I usually am done with games at the 5-6 min mark. However, I only get done with reading on the 2 minute remaining mark.

I have been geeting about -0-1 on games, -7/8 on LR, -5/6 on Reading. My goal is to get reading down to -3/4 and LR to -5/6.

Re: Timer hurting my score?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:08:12 PM »
That's crazy how that works.  I don't know if I'd go completely without a timer on test day, just in case you're thrown off by it being "the real thing."  I'd at least keep it on your desk, even if it's upside down or something--just in case you feel you need it.  Keep practicing to see if the pattern continues to hold up.

Sounds like you're in good shape for the test, though.  Good luck.

Whoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 07:10:01 PM »
BTW, LSAT proctor and 5-section tests have been a great resource. Def worth the $15.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »
When you know for certain what your averages score band is, you technically don't need to look at a timer anymore. I think the timer is more a psychological tool on test day that makes us feel a bit comfortable (And can also hamper our efficiency). It seems we condition ourselves to "think" we "need" the timer. When you take a lot of practice tests, you eventually build an internal clock to how fast you complete each section.

I usually finish each of my sections in a pretty much predictable amount of time. Therefore, not needing a timer. A timer on test day is probably going to take valuable seconds away from answering another question.

I say, make it your goal to not use a timer on test day. Just like a professional mile runner completes a mile in a predictable amount of time, we can predict with accuracy how quickly we finish each section as well.

Trill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:18:11 PM »
I definitely do not personally agree with relying on a timer. You should have an internal clock for the test; know when to move on from questions and this comes through practice.

The only section I've been struggling on in terms of time is the LR (and I generally finish, but sometimes have to guess on 1-2 questions I don't get to). Only time I won't finish LG is if I don't understand a certain game well enough to attack it efficiently.

I wish they didn't give a 5 minute warning, because I bet that will distract me.