Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC UG Mean GPA / inflation  (Read 1570 times)

Rizz98

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.91/165
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rizz98
    • View Profile
    • Email
LSAC UG Mean GPA / inflation
« on: September 24, 2004, 01:58:28 PM »
I was just looking at the key to the online summary report. I've noticed that a few people have mentioned things on other threads about the mean GPAs for the school sounding very high - forgive me if I'm misinterpreting this, but I believe I read correctly that the GPA is calculated from the population of students who have registered for the LSAT. It would seem to hold to me that although at some schools (ie, lots of poli sci, philosophy, etc) everybody and their brother registers for the LSATs, but at others only a few top students take an interest in law. So the latter could have a higher average GPA but it may not be due to grade inflation whatsoever. Does this follow, or am I nuts?
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

foxnewssucks

Re: LSAC UG Mean GPA / inflation
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 02:15:19 PM »
I think that the GPAs that come from the reports are even more inflated due to the fact that people that are applying to law schoold probably have a higher average GPA compared to the student body at large.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 03:08:10 PM »
This is true.  However, I think for most schools, there are high enough numbers that the comparative effect between schools is insignificant.  The LSAC will only release a mean GPA if there are 100 students (I believe) in that pool.

Rizz98

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.91/165
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rizz98
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 03:42:25 PM »
You may be right - I went to Clarkson University, which is small and mostly an engineering school. Not many go on to law school, though I know a few who eventually have. The number of candidates on the transcript report was on 56 w/an LSAT mean of 153, but I got a nice "INSF" for both Cum GPA percentile & GPA college mean. Too bad, I was kind of curious about those.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."