Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oct 04 -- ouchwtf  (Read 688 times)

killblues

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Oct 04 -- ouchwtf
« on: September 21, 2007, 03:53:21 AM »
Took Jun 04 last night, good score.

Oct 04 this morning, -5 from my score last night.

Same conditions - extra LR section I haven't done from Preptest C (Superprep).  But Oct 04 curve was ridiculously harsh...

Anyone else done the Oct04 test and found it more difficult than the others?

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oct 04 -- ouchwtf
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
I also scored lower on this one.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 10:37:44 AM »
I just bombed a pt I took yesterday (164, my average is 167-172).  It wasn't tough at all I'm just over-practiced and I wasn't able to concentrate.  It might not be a popular view but I'm not practicing any this week.  I got my highest score ever (the 172) after I took a week off.  I think I'm very sensitive to test-fatigue so I'm going to rest up this week and go into the real-deal well rested and fresh.

Was the test really hard or do you think you were having an off day, too?
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »
I just bombed a pt I took yesterday (164, my average is 167-172).  It wasn't tough at all I'm just over-practiced and I wasn't able to concentrate.  It might not be a popular view but I'm not practicing any this week.  I got my highest score ever (the 172) after I took a week off.  I think I'm very sensitive to test-fatigue so I'm going to rest up this week and go into the real-deal well rested and fresh.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOO agree with this.  I tend to do better when I haven't looked at that crap for awhile.   I' m going to do a practice test Saturday morning at the test site, then Sunday for TM.  I'm going to review Monday through Wednesday with some practice sections and that's it.  I'm taking Thursday and Friday before the test off to rejuvenate.  I can't wait until next Saturday.
Michigan 2L

killblues

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 08:17:57 AM »

I really have no idea.  I looked over my mistakes and a lot of them were of the *foreheadslap* variety, so I don't know...

There may be other factors as well.  I took Oct04 in the morning, the Jun04 test I took at night.  I've been practicing mostly on evenings after work so that might've been a factor.

But I think I'm gonna give the over-practicing suggestion some thought.  At this point I really don't have anything much to add to my repository of LSAT knowledge.  I'm not saying I know everything about it, but I've taken about 30 preptests (20 of them timed) and 95% of the ones I'm missing are of the *foreheadslap* kinds where I just momentarily lose focus and pick another choice.

Also, I think the new RC sections started to dampen my confidence a bit.  I never missed anything more than -2 on old RCs (preptests 7-25ish), but the June/Oct 04 ones I missed -4 each.  Ouch.

I'm gonna take another practice test tonight and see how I fare....but still, :(.  I may also take a break but I don't know...I don't think I'm the type who can idle around when I have 15 preptests left lying around undone, lol.  Maybe do a per-section run?  Ugh

I can't wait for this &$#@ing test to be over  >:(

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 04:13:48 PM »

I really have no idea.  I looked over my mistakes and a lot of them were of the *foreheadslap* variety, so I don't know...

There may be other factors as well.  I took Oct04 in the morning, the Jun04 test I took at night.  I've been practicing mostly on evenings after work so that might've been a factor.

But I think I'm gonna give the over-practicing suggestion some thought.  At this point I really don't have anything much to add to my repository of LSAT knowledge.  I'm not saying I know everything about it, but I've taken about 30 preptests (20 of them timed) and 95% of the ones I'm missing are of the *foreheadslap* kinds where I just momentarily lose focus and pick another choice.
Also, I think the new RC sections started to dampen my confidence a bit.  I never missed anything more than -2 on old RCs (preptests 7-25ish), but the June/Oct 04 ones I missed -4 each.  Ouch.

I'm gonna take another practice test tonight and see how I fare....but still, :(.  I may also take a break but I don't know...I don't think I'm the type who can idle around when I have 15 preptests left lying around undone, lol.  Maybe do a per-section run?  Ugh

I can't wait for this &$#@ing test to be over  >:(

I can relate to this, thus my conclusion that I'm just over-tested and not able to focus anymore.  I'm really hoping I'll be *on* during the real test and not drifting off to my grocery shopping list and other terribly useful things that go on in my head.  Sometimes if I lose focus I end up just picking an answer and saying "good enough."  That is not good enough on the real thing, though.  I dunno.  Some people might think this means I'm not ready but I know myself and as hard as I try to simulate test conditions as long as I KNOW that it's not the real thing I'll be a little bit mentally lazy.   ;D
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 04:20:14 PM »
I am having the SAME experience.  I had been doing 169-75 for 6 straight tests, then I took another and dropped to 166.  I took almost a WEEK off and am back up to 171.  I think we CAN, despite popular opinion, psych ourselves out by doing TOO MANY tests.

The law of statistics also seems to support the idea that the more tests you do, the more you will see the emergence of "outliers" - tests that are experiential anomolies brought on by the wonderful law of "if you do something enough times, you're bound to screw up one of them!".

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 08:53:53 PM »
MahlerGrooves:

Your impression of statistics is logically flawed.  Doing ONE more test can result in a statistical outlier relative to your regular performance. Doing TEN more can result in NO outliers. So, more or less practice will not in any way affect September 29th's probability of being an outlier. And anyway, what if the outlier is HIGHER than your regular performance rather than lower? Hmm, didn't think of THAT did you?  ;D

I think that for the final stages, this is like athletics. You are working to "perform" at the "final event." You can build muscles and practice skills only so much, in the limited time between starting your training, and the scheduled date of the race. For the last week or so leading up to the race, you need to perform acts that are not geared as much toward BUILDING UP your performance, as toward ENSURING CONSISTENCY in your performance, and toward IDEALIZING your performance on THAT DAY. In other words, do things that make sure you get the best score on the day, not things that make sure you get a higher and higher score.

Get enough rest. Stop studying now that there's little benefit to it. Remind yourself of fundamental principles. WAY BACK in your studying, you started picking up some basics. Go over those again, they're almost forgotten now, they've become assumptions. Double-check other test-taking skills aside from those related to answering the questions right: for example, make sure you have a ride to the test, and a back-up ride. Order a wake-up call from a .75 cent service. Pack your ziplock, and a back-up duplicate ziplock, and put one in the car. Put your entry ticket in a thick envelope and tape it to the front door. Prepare meals in advance, get adequate nutrition and sleep, avoid people who have a cold or flu, use hand-sanitizer religiously from now until then. Prepare a morning "warm up" exercise (one hybrid logic game?) and store it away in the ziplock. Plan to go for a run or get other (regular, habitual) exercise in order to get the blood flowing. Set your clothes out.

All that kind of crap. It's now more important than merely "practicing" more and more questions.

Best of luck to all the Sept 29 participants!  ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)   ;D

You're right.  I'm just worried that I could have one bad day on my "last preptest" and psych myself into thinking I'll do badly.  I did really well on today's (June 07) and like to end on a high note!

I also agree about how to approach this week.  When I was playing regularly, I would take the few days before a performance and concentrate on playing scales, arpeggios, and doing basic fingering exercises.  I would play through some of the difficult parts of the piece REALLY SLOWLY to ensure muscle memory, and I would basically make my life into that "Groundhog Day" movie - up the same time, bed the same time, same food, etc.  It is boring, but worth it.

I know my perceptions of statistics are flawed, but in my little mind they make me feel better.  Appealing to emotion is a common flaw because it works  ;D  Plus, POSITIVE energy is the KEY in this last week!  If you cannot think it, you cannot do it.  If you can visualize it, it is possible!

Also, DO NOT FOCUS ON SCORE!!!  Focus on answering each question the best you can and forget about it once you move to the next one.  It's like "going on tilt" in poker - do not let one bad hand ruin your whole chip stack!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!  We have worked hard.  There is nothing to be afraid of.  And it will all be over soon!

RightHandRule

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »
Ah good to see people are still bombing stuff. I had 4 wrong going into the last section of preptest, 31, then missed 5 in the last logic reasoning section. Wtf..

Also missed 4 in the games section of preptest 37 because of misreading a rule and not figuring it out fast enough. Arggggggg