Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Jena 6  (Read 27701 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Jena 6
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2007, 12:26:26 PM »
I actually read an article by someone in the town who said that the "nooses" on the tree were just props for the schools pep week.  They were playing the "Cowboys," and the joke was they would hang them on the trees like they used to do in the wild west.  It had nothing to do with racial animus, and the boys who hung them continue to get threatening phone calls despite their innocent intentions. 

That may be easy to believe for some people, but for black people in the United States, when we hear "Nooses" and "Trees" the image that first comes to mind is no joking matter:

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
  I'm sure these high school kids didn't share your keen understanding of history, Burning Sands. 

That may be an underestimation on your part.  If you're right, then how do you explain their actions (beating)?  Esp. the timing of their actions?
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2007, 12:48:27 PM »
Not saying it wasn't in poor taste.  I'm sure these high school kids didn't share your keen understanding of history, Burning Sands. 

My understanding of history is not all that keen, but one doesn't exactly need a keen sense of history to know what nooses hanging from trees means. Your average joe still knows what that means even in 2007.  Especially if you grew up in the South.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
Not saying it wasn't in poor taste.  I'm sure these high school kids didn't share your keen understanding of history, Burning Sands. 

My understanding of history is not all that keen, but one doesn't exactly need a keen sense of history to know what nooses hanging from trees means. Your average joe still knows what that means even in 2007.  Especially if you grew up in the South.

Right.  Even if you didn't grow up in the south, if you have a modicum of common sense, you know you don't do that *&^% and not expect people--especially blk ppl--to get angry.
Columbia 3L

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2007, 01:18:13 PM »
OK, the official Burning-Sands-clearly-needs-to-start-working-at-the-firm-because-he-has-too-much-time-on-his-hands brief.  My 2 cents worth of analysis on the aforementioned Jena 6 issue.  I woulda kicked it out sooner but I had to go catch a drink with the fellas.  Note to self, don't drink and do legal research!

Long story short, looks like both Miss P and Credo were right.  You can infer intent for attempted murder, but not in this case.

enjoy:

Ha ha nice: putting all that education to work.  I think the point that intent for the attempt muder charge has previously only been infered from use of weapons is pretty compelling.  Of course it doesnt completely preclude that inference in other situations (even apart from the Jena 6).

Didnt know that about California either, Ill have to check that out. Thanks Sands.  

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2007, 02:23:22 PM »
If directly asked, the kids would probably have known nooses were used to kill black people 40+ years ago.  That doesn't mean they were thinking about it when they were doing this pep stunt for their high school (assuming this was the reason for the noose). 

Lasso

[img width= height=]http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/noose.jpg[/img]

Noose

Cowboys don't use lassos in trees. Lassos are for cattle. Nooses are for people. Different knots.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2007, 02:27:03 PM »
  I'm sure these high school kids didn't share your keen understanding of history, Burning Sands. 

Oh for @#!*'s sake dude - I mean, maybe if the kids grew up in some white, ultra rich suburb down there. Jena is a far cry from that, though.

If directly asked, the kids would probably have known nooses were used to kill black people 40+ years ago.  That doesn't mean they were thinking about it when they were doing this pep stunt for their high school (assuming this was the reason for the noose). 

Dude. Come on.

How about those two douchesacks kids arrested in Alexandria last week for driving around during the demonstrations with nooses tied to the back of their trucks? Did they not know either?

(oh wait, they also had affiliations with the KKK)
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2007, 02:29:36 PM »

Lasso

[img width= height=]http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/noose.jpg[/img]

Noose

Cowboys don't use lassos in trees. Lassos are for cattle. Nooses are for people.

Exactly my point.  The blog mentioned something about "Hang 'em High".  But that was ridiculous.  I just don't think that reasoning flies.  Maybe if they lasso-ed  around the tree it would make sense.  But all the facts indicate otherwise.  The timing, the noose, that particular tree, etc.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »

My understanding of history is not all that keen, but one doesn't exactly need a keen sense of history to know what nooses hanging from trees means. Your average joe still knows what that means even in 2007.  Especially if you grew up in the South.

This is spot on.  Context is key.  Even if nooses were used by cowboys in the wild west, when modern Americans see a nose dangling from a tree they think of racism/lynchings.  And this was taking place in the South... in a town known for its racial divisions!  Similarly if I go to decide to go to school wearing a t-shirt with a swastika on it, no one's going to believe my argument that it's just a Buddhist religious symbol.

I mean, give me a break.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2007, 04:22:54 PM »
OK....I just watched Prosecutor Reed Walter's press conference on CNN...

...I'm heated.

THIS dude made no appology for what he did whatsoever, and kept making these subtle, passive aggressive statements about how if it weren't for the Jena police the thousands of black demonstrators who came to Jena last week would have gotten out of hand.  Moreover, he said that but for the prayers of the Christian people of Jena, last week would have gotten out of hand.

You ever just wanna smack somebody?

I was also mad at the media people in the room who didn't know the right questions to ask.  He explained from the onset that he, the prosecutor, doesn't set the bail and has nothing to do with the bail - that's the judge's decision.  Why did these fucks ask him about the bail like 8 times.  Each time he repeated the same answer: that's the judge's decision.  Judges set bails geniuses.  For the 8th time.  Then one reporter even said flat out that she was unaware of the legal term to use but couldn't the kids who hung the nooses be charged for some kind of starting a riot....

You ever just wanna smack somebody?

Why can't they send some reporters who at least know basic legalese to ask the right questions.  One reporter ALMOST had a decent question but she frased it in a way that allowed him to wiggle his way out; after the prosecutor went on and on about ethics and probable cause, she said "some people say that you violated the ethics that you just described with the attempted murder charge."  To which he easily replied "well I'm not going to comment on what some people say."   

You ever just wanna...well you get the point.

UHHHHHHHHHG!!!!!!!!!!!   >:(
Charles H. Houston