Law School Discussion

Thoughts on the Jena 6

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Jena 6
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »
Bell Sent Back To Prison

A black Louisiana teenager at the center of the racially charged "Jena 6" case was ordered Thursday to spend 18 months in a juvenile facility, after a judge ruled he had violated his probation for earlier juvenile convictions, a source with knowledge of the court proceedings said.

Mychal Bell, 17, who was freed two weeks ago after his adult criminal conviction for beating a white classmate was overturned, was sent to the Renaissance Home for Youth in Alexandria, Louisiana, the source said.

The decision came at the end of a two-day juvenile court hearing that was closed to the media and public.

Carol Powell-Lexing, one of Bell's attorneys, said the judge's decision would be appealed.

Bell was freed on $45,000 bail on September 27, after an appeals court threw out his conviction on battery and conspiracy charges in adult court and remanded the case to juvenile court.

But Judge J.P. Mauffrey agreed with prosecutors that Bell had violated the probation he was given for four previous juvenile offenses, including two simple battery charges, the sources said.

Bell had been placed on probation until he turned 18.

Civil rights activist Al Sharpton, who has championed Bell's case, denounced Thursday's decision as "revenge" by the judge and called on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco to intervene.
Don't Miss

Demonstrators in September took to the streets of the small town of Jena to protest how authorities handled the cases of Bell and five other teens accused of beating white student Justin Barker in December 2006. The incident was a culmination of fights between blacks and whites.

Many said they were angry that the students, dubbed the "Jena 6," were being treated more harshly than three white students who hung nooses from an oak tree on Jena High School property.

The white students were suspended from school but did not face criminal charges. The protesters said they should have been charged with a hate crime

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 12, 2007, 07:35:08 AM »
Nice. Four previous juvie raps. Emmit Till he ain't ...

yeah I really wasn't feeling the comparison...or the t-shirts made up that reflected the comparison. 

« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2007, 09:03:26 AM »
Civil rights activist Al Sharpton, who has championed Bell's case, denounced Thursday's decision as "revenge" by the judge and called on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco to intervene.

So, how does Bell violating his probation (which would get anyone sent back to prison) count as revenge?  Only in Sharpie's world. 

« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2007, 09:07:40 AM »
I'm sorry, Louisiana no longer exists. This just in. Jena, along with Morgan City and New Orleans, has sunk into the Gulf of Mexico, thanks to the Federal Government's negligence regarding wetland preservation and reclamation, prevention of other authorities from performing similar acts, and failure to build suitable levees, as contrary to their own legal restrictions. Pictures at six.

Back to you, Fred.

You could have just said that George Bush hates black people.  It would have saved you time and you still would have made the exact same point. 

What about the part where the Democratic leaders of New Orleans and Louisiana (of the last 60 years) failed to act to prevent the tragedy of Katrina and that they consistently redirected federal funds that were supposed to be used to maintain and improve the levies?  I guess that doesn't really matter as long as New Orleans remains a "chocolate city".  (By "chocolate city" I mean that when you make chocolate, you combine it with milk so that there is a nice blend of black and white). 

« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2007, 10:08:23 AM »

Closer to Tawana Brawley.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2007, 03:54:32 PM »

yeah I really wasn't feeling the comparison...or the t-shirts made up that reflected the comparison. 

:o  Wow!  I missed all that.  I wish it weren't so, but I'm not surprised, I suppose.  ::smh:: From the LIttle Rock Nine to the Jena 6 -- we need to do better, black people!

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2007, 06:31:14 PM »
Sorry. I must hazard a rephrase: "we must do better, PEOPLE." It's not just blacks who get fooled into thinking a victim of one racial bias must be himself unblemished.

I appreciate your thoughts, though I stand by what I said.  I think we both can agree that my statement is just as true as yours.  Nonetheless, I am chiefly concerned in this instance not with the responses of "people" in general wrt Jena 6, but with particular black people's misguidedly shallow parallels that reveal a lack of understanding of what it looks like when justice is truly thwarted.  jsia

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 13, 2007, 06:32:23 AM »

:o  Wow!  I missed all that.  I wish it weren't so, but I'm not surprised, I suppose.  ::smh:: From the LIttle Rock Nine to the Jena 6 -- we need to do better, black people!

Yeah I was too through once I saw the t-shirts.  WTF  :o

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 13, 2007, 08:16:44 PM »
You are better than most, P.

Thanks, Sands.  This means a lot coming from you. :)

The controversy was about two things (1) whether the officer clearly identified himself as NYPD when he approached (and touched) the car with his gun out and (2) whether Bell was trying to hurt him or was instead just trying to get away.  Either way, the police have a policy of not firing into moving vehicles.  Even if you believe the police identified themselves clearly and that Bell was trying to hurt them, these facts are insufficient to overcome the clear judgments underlying the policy.  It was very dangerous, and we are lucky that no one else was killed or seriously hurt.

While I appreciate your time and you have added to my knowledge of NYPD procedures, what you're describing isn't racism.

I didn't say it was.  I suggested, instead, that the way police respond (e.g., with a willingness to violate policies like this one) to black neighborhoods and black male suspects is different from the way they respond to other neighborhoods and suspects, and I believe this is, in part, a result of racial bias.  In any case, remember, this discussion of police homicides in NYC arose first out of your contention that African and West Indian black men aren't subejct to the same mistreatment as African-American black men (IIRC, I made a list of the most recent police shootings of unarmed civilians, all of whom were black men, and only one of whom -- Bell -- was African American) and extended to a discussion of the Bell shooting in particular only because of your insistence that people mourning Bell's death were a sign of what was wrong about contemporary African-American culture.  You're welcome to try to advance this position.  Perhaps you can even gain a friend in California Cougar out of it.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 13, 2007, 08:20:58 PM »

Yeah I was too through once I saw the t-shirts.  WTF  :o

I've had an eye on the Jena Six for a good part of the last six months, and I've never seen a t-shirt comparing the boys to Emmett Till.  What does it say?

Sorry. I must hazard a rephrase: "we must do better, PEOPLE." It's not just blacks who get fooled into thinking a victim of one racial bias must be himself unblemished.

I appreciate your thoughts, though I stand by what I said.  I think we both can agree that my statement is just as true as yours.  Nonetheless, I am chiefly concerned in this instance not with the responses of "people" in general wrt Jena 6, but with particular black people's misguidedly shallow parallels that reveal a lack of understanding of what it looks like when justice is truly thwarted.  jsia

IMO, justice has been thwarted in this case regardless of Mychal Bell's wrongdoing.  I don't see why he has to be innocent in order to receive fair treatment.