Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Jena 6  (Read 29159 times)

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Jena 6
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2007, 02:59:23 PM »
The great thing about internet arguing is that if someone else can't prove that the sky is blue, you can often make them really annoyed by deliberately insisting it's purple.

One thing that I notice about the LSD boards, relative to many others where I've been on the internet, is that here people tend to prefer to show themselves as non-cooperative. Somehow the concept of cooperation suggests to them the concept of weakness or ineptitude. (This is, of course, a logical fallacy, but that's a different issue.) So, when they're in doubt, they aggressively posture about their own independence, lack of support, and aggression, going out of their way to find the small points where they and everyone else DIFFER. It's very important to them to find difference and then get angry about it. In lots of other locations, people are more sanguine about the notion of creating a field in which we can all work, even if there are differences among the denizens of that field.

I suppose it's good practice for the inherently adversarial nature of the law, and it's generally verbally quite accurate to the type of thinking that's required in an LSAT question. People often read my posts as though they were LR or RC questions (another obvious logical fallacy) and then feel they've adequately addressed the issues at hand merely because they've pointed out a weakener, strengthener, or assumption, or found which of the following five answer choices  parallels the method of reading in the stimulus above. But it certainly doesn't actually get at the issues at hand, and it tends to prevent people from actually advocating for their own positions.

Nobody on this thread who CLAIMS to be advocating that racism in America doesn't exist to any important extent has actually DONE any advocating for that claim. They just keep re-stating that position, then things which are supposed inferences from that position, and then things that are only tangentially related to that position, and then a lot of anger about things like taxes and jobs and abortion and any other hot-button issues they can find. But they don't ... actually ... BOTHER to try to prove their point. And that's definitely not very good practice for the law, is it?

::)
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2007, 09:52:16 PM »
The controversy was about two things (1) whether the officer clearly identified himself as NYPD when he approached (and touched) the car with his gun out and (2) whether Bell was trying to hurt him or was instead just trying to get away.  Either way, the police have a policy of not firing into moving vehicles.  Even if you believe the police identified themselves clearly and that Bell was trying to hurt them, these facts are insufficient to overcome the clear judgments underlying the policy.  It was very dangerous, and we are lucky that no one else was killed or seriously hurt.

While I appreciate your time and you have added to my knowledge of NYPD procedures, what you're describing isn't racism.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2007, 10:17:52 PM »
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 11, 2007, 11:57:41 PM »
Bell Sent Back To Prison

A black Louisiana teenager at the center of the racially charged "Jena 6" case was ordered Thursday to spend 18 months in a juvenile facility, after a judge ruled he had violated his probation for earlier juvenile convictions, a source with knowledge of the court proceedings said.

Mychal Bell, 17, who was freed two weeks ago after his adult criminal conviction for beating a white classmate was overturned, was sent to the Renaissance Home for Youth in Alexandria, Louisiana, the source said.

The decision came at the end of a two-day juvenile court hearing that was closed to the media and public.

Carol Powell-Lexing, one of Bell's attorneys, said the judge's decision would be appealed.

Bell was freed on $45,000 bail on September 27, after an appeals court threw out his conviction on battery and conspiracy charges in adult court and remanded the case to juvenile court.

But Judge J.P. Mauffrey agreed with prosecutors that Bell had violated the probation he was given for four previous juvenile offenses, including two simple battery charges, the sources said.

Bell had been placed on probation until he turned 18.

Civil rights activist Al Sharpton, who has championed Bell's case, denounced Thursday's decision as "revenge" by the judge and called on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco to intervene.
Don't Miss

Demonstrators in September took to the streets of the small town of Jena to protest how authorities handled the cases of Bell and five other teens accused of beating white student Justin Barker in December 2006. The incident was a culmination of fights between blacks and whites.

Many said they were angry that the students, dubbed the "Jena 6," were being treated more harshly than three white students who hung nooses from an oak tree on Jena High School property.

The white students were suspended from school but did not face criminal charges. The protesters said they should have been charged with a hate crime
YLS c/o 2009

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2007, 09:35:08 AM »
Nice. Four previous juvie raps. Emmit Till he ain't ...

yeah I really wasn't feeling the comparison...or the t-shirts made up that reflected the comparison. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2007, 11:03:26 AM »
Civil rights activist Al Sharpton, who has championed Bell's case, denounced Thursday's decision as "revenge" by the judge and called on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco to intervene.

So, how does Bell violating his probation (which would get anyone sent back to prison) count as revenge?  Only in Sharpie's world. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »
I'm sorry, Louisiana no longer exists. This just in. Jena, along with Morgan City and New Orleans, has sunk into the Gulf of Mexico, thanks to the Federal Government's negligence regarding wetland preservation and reclamation, prevention of other authorities from performing similar acts, and failure to build suitable levees, as contrary to their own legal restrictions. Pictures at six.

Back to you, Fred.

You could have just said that George Bush hates black people.  It would have saved you time and you still would have made the exact same point. 

What about the part where the Democratic leaders of New Orleans and Louisiana (of the last 60 years) failed to act to prevent the tragedy of Katrina and that they consistently redirected federal funds that were supposed to be used to maintain and improve the levies?  I guess that doesn't really matter as long as New Orleans remains a "chocolate city".  (By "chocolate city" I mean that when you make chocolate, you combine it with milk so that there is a nice blend of black and white). 

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2007, 12:08:23 PM »

Closer to Tawana Brawley.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »

yeah I really wasn't feeling the comparison...or the t-shirts made up that reflected the comparison. 

:o  Wow!  I missed all that.  I wish it weren't so, but I'm not surprised, I suppose.  ::smh:: From the LIttle Rock Nine to the Jena 6 -- we need to do better, black people!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2007, 08:31:14 PM »
Sorry. I must hazard a rephrase: "we must do better, PEOPLE." It's not just blacks who get fooled into thinking a victim of one racial bias must be himself unblemished.

I appreciate your thoughts, though I stand by what I said.  I think we both can agree that my statement is just as true as yours.  Nonetheless, I am chiefly concerned in this instance not with the responses of "people" in general wrt Jena 6, but with particular black people's misguidedly shallow parallels that reveal a lack of understanding of what it looks like when justice is truly thwarted.  jsia
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?