Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why the anonymity?  (Read 2168 times)

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
Why the anonymity?
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:39:51 AM »
Why do people fudge their numbers here and on LSN? Or decline to reveal EC's in hopes of "not being found?" Who are they trying to hide from?  Most say they'll reveal after the cycle is over, so I assume it's only while applying (thus the reason this is in the LS Applications forum.)  Should I be more discrete?

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why the anonymity?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:03:59 AM »
Why do people fudge their numbers here and on LSN? Or decline to reveal EC's in hopes of "not being found?" Who are they trying to hide from?  Most say they'll reveal after the cycle is over, so I assume it's only while applying (thus the reason this is in the LS Applications forum.)  Should I be more discrete?

Whether or not you should be more discrete is really a personal decision. Some people could not care less about annonymity and that works for them. Personally, I prefer some annonymity. ::shrug:: I worry about YP for one thing. I have other reasons but I'm not inclined to share them, lol.  :)
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 10:11:38 AM »
I was being anonymous last year because it was all the rage, but this year, I don't really see the point.  I really don't have anything to hide.
Michigan 2L

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:17:05 AM »
It's really never a good idea to reveal your identity on teh intenetz.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

paratactical

• Sr. Citizen
  • int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:00:58 AM »

I don't know if I agree with that.  Most of the political bloggers I know (myself included) felt that dropping our anonymity was part of gaining credibility.  It's really hard for a mainstream media source to cite "the blogger known as Fred Hacker," even if that blogger originally broke the story.  And serious programming geeks - my spouse, and earlier developer of teh internetz, has over a million Google hit attributable to his name.

But here, at LSD and other BBs, it probably is safer to remain anonymous if you can, particularly if you're apt to say stupid things  ;).

TITCR

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 12:53:02 PM »
This is what Michael Machen, former Chicago Admissions Officer and now Admissions Consultant (he was the one answering questions on this board) had to say on this topic:

"March 27, 2007
On Message Boards, MySpace, and Anonymity

Recently, there has been a lot of coverage, criticism and commentary about an anonymous message board with a sometimes pre-law focus. Leaving aside the very interesting  first amendment and privacy issues raised by these types of boards, I thought it might be useful to discuss how an applicant's 'online presence' can affect his or her application.

The recent explosion of MySpace, Facebook, Friendster, as well as blogging and public photo sharing has made a ton of information available about applicants. The 'Googlestalking' of 5 years ago now seems quaint, since we can read poetry, see pictures of weekend exploits, and find out which schools you are really interested in on your blog or MySpace page. I would bet that most admissions officers have, on occasion, looked someone up online after reading their file, so be aware that what you or your friends put on these sites may come back to haunt you. We are also hearing that many legal employers are checking online sites during the employment process to assess candidates' maturity, discretion, and character.

Online message boards are also very popular with applicants, providing access to a community of applicants, law students, lawyers, as well as the randoms that any web community attracts. While most boards require at least a valid email to post comments, others are completely anonymous, allowing anyone to post. As with MySpace and Facebook, I would bet that many, if not all, law school admissions officers have browsed through these boards looking for their school, or applicants. Be careful how you represent yourself on these boards, because even anonymous applicants (and students) reveal themselves inadvertently, or are revealed by others. Message boards can be a wonderful place to meet fellow applicants and exchange information and viewpoints on law schools, but I would also urge you not to substitute internet opinions for actual visits and data."
3.7ish, 170+

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 02:13:25 PM »
Does anyone remember what happened to BigTex on here a couple years back? 
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

paratactical

• Sr. Citizen
  • int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 02:15:08 PM »
Ooh! Story time?

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 02:18:28 PM »

Crap  :-\

And yeah, someone tell the Ballad of Big Tex.

Thirded
university of southern california 2011

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 02:19:03 PM »
Ooh! Story time?

White kid claimed to be hispanic b/c his mom (re)married a hispanic guy when he was in his teens (I believe).  

Clarified this point in optional essays for most schools, but not Texas.  Claimed he called and was told not to submit "extra" stuff (though this point probably should've been made in his personal statement).

Texas later figured out who he was on here, and notified other schools about his bogus ethnic identity.  Because he had already clarified to other schools, he somehow skated by.

Later, he wrote an obnoxious email to a T10 prof (CC'd to the entire section) who was late grading his essay.  Hilarity ensued.

This guy seems incredibly tone deaf in general.  Google "BigTex" and "Law" for more info.