Law School Discussion

This is why I'm hot

This is why I'm hot
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:48:18 AM »
I take it some of you have heard that song that was a hit a few months ago. I was just listening to it and realized it actually uses correct formal logic.

"This is why I'm hot.
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly.
You ain't 'cause you not."

If hot then fly
if ~fly then ~hot

Re: This is why I'm hot
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:41:30 PM »
This iz another example o' why da LSAT iz uh culturally biased tess. Instead o' tes'in about rap an' hoops, it'sall about books an' games wiff nahh balls. and *&^%.

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 05:58:20 PM »
Actually, when this song came out, I tried to point out to all my friends that it uses terrible logic.  Not surprisingly, most were indifferent.

Pretentious Undergrad

• Pip pip, children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 07:18:26 PM »
Enya on the other hand...

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »
http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0711,harvilla,76021,22.html

That link made my whole night better, which will invariably make me study more effectively for my Latin test tomorrow.  I thank you.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:45:27 PM »
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly.
You ain't 'cause you not."

Some people, perhaps because of a priviledged upbringing, have either been unable or unwilling to peal off the many layers of meaning behind these two simple phrases by Mim. Perhaps our oversight was anticipated by Mim all along, and he would have it no other way. By leaving the subject of "ain't" and "not" purposefully ambiguous when he says "You ain't cause you not," Mim puts the crosshair, so to speak, of interpretation strictly on the listener. Are you not hot because you are not fly? If this is the intent, then Mim has singlehandedly shaken the repititious forms of "old school" rap into a new dimension where analogous meanings need not be expressed with analogous wordplay. If, on the other hand, Mim is rejecting ones capacity to be fly from lacking the property of hotness, Mim displays a conscious awareness that "I'm hot 'cause I'm fly" cannot be biconditional, an important point that is glossed over all too often in the colloquial tongue. Not since Confucious has a man said so little yet so much.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:00:31 PM »
two simple phrases by Mim.

Who is "Mim"?

Imperial Russian Stout!

• The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »
After a long day of law clerking, it was SOOOOOO enjoyable to see Jeffort entirely dominate a kid on logic. ;D

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 10:53:31 PM »
I believe "I'm hot only 'cause I'm fly" would fix the logic.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:09:21 PM »
I believe "I'm hot only 'cause I'm fly" would fix the logic.

No. This simply states that your being able to fly is a necessary condition for you to be hot - it you could not fly, you would not be hot. However, it says nothing about whether any one else needs to fly in order to be hot.

Doesn't it diagram out to Hot -> Fly?

"You ain't 'cause you not."

~Fly -> ~hot