Law School Discussion

Re: philosophy majors
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »
Wow, PHIL 265, is that not a prerequisite for a philosophy major?

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »
Wow, PHIL 265, is that not a prerequisite for a philosophy major?
I'm afraid I missed the joke.  :-\

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 10:45:29 PM »
The "no offense" thing was a joke. I added it and then said the exact criticism I got for it. But that doesn't matter.

And I still think my point stands (even if Max wasn't charitable in pointing out that I misspoke by calling *it* a statistic). That is, the effect suggested is consistent with either side, so it does not tell us much even as an anecdote- unless he was merely trying to express that he happened to miss 3-5 on average. But that'd be uninteresting to the discussion. It clearly was not his intent to be uninteresting.

For a reminder, No, being a philosophy major definitely helps (or, at least, definitely _can_ help).  On my first practice tests, I was only missing 3-5 questions combined on RC and LR.  I wouldn't have been that far along if not for phil.

That was his post.

In any case, this is a silly discussion. The topic was guided by the OP's implicit belief, though it's since been changed to talk about 'helping'.

TurtleSandwich

• This is what I look like when I'm f**king mangled
    • MSN Messenger - tal_rashaz3@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 07:54:52 AM »
Well I am of the Rogerian school of thought which lives by the credo that one doesn't dwell on intellectual
shortcomings but rather invisages a utopian acaDEMIC environment.  To fully understand what I speak of, please
go down to any local convenience store and grab yourself a pack of milk.  If the clerk looks at you and asks for the money, then you will at that moment understand TRUE academia.  Thank you.

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 11:09:43 AM »
I said "u" bothered me and nothing more. Aside from that being a matter of spelling (not grammar), it bothers me because it comes across as lazy and uneducated, even if you might not be neither. In any case, don't you agree that "you won't not need to study" and "you need to study" express different thoughts when followed by "because you are a philosophy major" when it is in reply to the OP? The particular grammar was intentional: the thoughts express different things.

Thanks for the well-wishes on the LSAT, even if backhanded. Likewise to you.

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 09:25:18 PM »
So let me get this straight: you're saying I should be grammatically correct instead of clear? If you agree that it expresses something different than "you need to study", then your issue makes no sense. Your point, also, was irrelevant. I was not criticizing your grammar. I simply said I found "u" to be annoying. So my so-called poor grammar is strictly irrelevant to this.

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 11:33:51 AM »
Way to get 20 people together in this thread who can now engage in a massive mental masturbatory circle-jerk.  Thanks op.
As opposed to a non-masturbatory circle-jerk?