Law School Discussion

Dear Boston College.

Dear Boston College.
« on: September 19, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »
You are one of my top choices and I finished completing all of stuff.  I was ready to start applying everywhere, but just realized you were the only place that required a Statement of Purpose rather than a Personal Statement.  Now, I must write a special essay just for you.  If I am not admitted, I will be very upset.

Love,

Disgruntled Applicant

Stupid statement of purpose...

FB

• View Profile
Re: Dear Boston College.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:16:20 PM »
You are one of my top choices and I finished completing all of stuff.  I was ready to start applying everywhere, but just realized you were the only place that required a Statement of Purpose rather than a Personal Statement.  Now, I must write a special essay just for you.  If I am not admitted, I will be very upset.

Love,

Disgruntled Applicant

Cosigned.

Also, why does GW require only 500 words? Why not two pages like the rest of the world? My PS is 900 words and there isn't a way to cut it down.

Why GW? Why?

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »
It's a personal statement - it says as much in the instructions.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:19:10 PM »
Some people say they got in with their basic PS. 

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 05:42:01 PM »
\

Love,

Disgruntled Applicant

Haha, yeah, I went through this same realization, and was very annoyed about it. I actually didn't apply there because I didn't want to write a separate essay.

You wouldn't have went anyway ;)

Shark Week

• officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »
Some people say they got in with their basic PS. 

I talked with a UNC adcomm at the LSAC forum this weekend. UNC requires an essay that doesn't "fit" the mold of the standard PS, and he said in more polite terms that it annoys the *&^% out of him when people submit a generic PS instead of reading the directions and submitting the appropriate PS - but he'll still read it either way.

So yeah, definitely possible. But I probably wouldn't run the risk of pissing off whoever's reading your statement unless I had a 3.9 and a 178  :D

I'm pretty bummed about having to write an all-new PS for BC (and to a lesser extent, BU), but I'll live.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 10:17:40 PM »
It seems to me that a "generic personal statement" would fit the requirement. The topics are vague enough that (to me) they mean "write about anything and then tell us why law"
"A personal statement. We are interested particularly in learning about your motivation and preparation for the study of law as well as any circumstances that you believe relevant to the evaluation of your credentials."
"Personal Statement: Please provide us with a personal statement that reflects on your capacity for legal study and your desire to enter the legal profession. In crafting your essay, you may choose to address one of the following topics, to the extent you believe it reflects on your character and fitness to study the law: a) a major life experience that has colored your world view; b) significant course work undertaken in college which reflects on your ability to succeed as a law student; c) unique personal characteristics or traits that you will bring to the
BC Law community."

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:18:39 PM »
What strikes me is the number of times the term "personal statement" is used.

They only care that you write well, not so much what you write about (well, and that you follow directions).