Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OMFG IN AT DUKE!!!!!!!!  (Read 4467 times)

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OMFG IN AT DUKE!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 02:41:27 PM »
Wow! HAPPY DAY!

You've also just really motivated me to get back on my PS. Thanks. :)
CLS 2011

dran

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Awesome! Good job.

(As an aside, did you receive an email from them saying you were complete or did it just go straight to decision?)

big12fanatic18

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Congrats! That's awesome. What a great way to start off your cycle.

Just curious, did you send in a Duke-specific PS? I'm so tempted to just send in my general PS but they clearly state that the PS should convey why I'm applying to Duke so I'm just trying to decide how much I need to modify my PS...maybe I'll just end the essay with "I love Duke". Bleh, I'm so PS'ed out

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. This is what Duke's instructions say about the PS:

"Personal Statement: You are required to submit a personal statement. If you apply via LSAC, use the electronic attachment. The statement is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the admissions decision maker and should include (1) what you think have been your significant personal experiences beyond what may be reflected in your academic transcripts and on your résumé, and (2) your personal and career ambitions. There is no required length."

Where does it "clearly state" that you should convey why you are applying to Duke?

Judge Haller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 02:49:30 PM »
Congratulations! The rest of you kids need to get busy on your applications...
WVU Class of 2011

Para Legal

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 02:55:21 PM »
Damn, that was quick!! 'Gratz!!

Cheers,

Para  ;)
Hamline University School of Law
1L

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 03:02:42 PM »

Just curious, did you send in a Duke-specific PS? I'm so tempted to just send in my general PS but they clearly state that the PS should convey why I'm applying to Duke so I'm just trying to decide how much I need to modify my PS...maybe I'll just end the essay with "I love Duke". Bleh, I'm so PS'ed out

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. This is what Duke's instructions say about the PS:

"Personal Statement: You are required to submit a personal statement. If you apply via LSAC, use the electronic attachment. The statement is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the admissions decision maker and should include (1) what you think have been your significant personal experiences beyond what may be reflected in your academic transcripts and on your résumé, and (2) your personal and career ambitions. There is no required length."

Where does it "clearly state" that you should convey why you are applying to Duke?

Application instructions/FAQ...

"What is Admissions looking for in a personal statement?

The Personal Statement is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the admissions decision maker and should include (1) what you think have been your significant personal experiences beyond what may be reflected in your academic transcripts and on your resume, and (2) your personal and career ambitions. From your personal statement, we should be able to understand why you want to go to law school and why you have decided to apply to Duke."
3.7ish, 170+

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 03:39:02 PM »

I did not write a Duke-specific PS but I did talk about why law a bit.
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 04:47:12 PM »
accepted before tons of people have even taken the lsat.  congrats!

lawgirl415

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 04:56:51 PM »
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know you, but I'm so excited for you! YEAH! :D I hope your good luck wears off on us  ;D
VOTE MCCAIN/PALIN 2008!!!!!!

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 05:14:40 PM »

I did not write a Duke-specific PS but I did talk about why law a bit.

Ahh, good to hear. Congrats again!
3.7ish, 170+