Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&L 1L Taking Questions  (Read 23152 times)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: W&L 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »
Leaps and bounds better than DePaul, Suffolk, Florida Coastal, Phoenix or Baltimore

ChiEsque

• MSN Messenger - lili0639@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chyamaks
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gold_1639@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »
Leaps and bounds better than DePaul, Suffolk, Florida Coastal, Phoenix or Baltimore

Thanks Lenny! Just what i needed to hear.
W & L, Class of 2011

FB

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2008, 09:46:50 PM »

How well does the school do in the Mid-Atlantic firms? I'm pretty sure that I don't want the stress of DC or NYC, but I want to be able to pay off my loans, so I'm thinking that I might want to end up in Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta.

ChiEsque

• MSN Messenger - lili0639@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chyamaks
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gold_1639@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2008, 09:52:41 PM »

How well does the school do in the Mid-Atlantic firms? I'm pretty sure that I don't want the stress of DC or NYC, but I want to be able to pay off my loans, so I'm thinking that I might want to end up in Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta.

FB, sounds like it places really well in those areas, at least, going by previous posts on this thread (pg 19).
W & L, Class of 2011

FB

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2008, 09:54:52 PM »

FB, sounds like it places really well in those areas, at least, going by previous posts on this thread (pg 19).

Good call. Thanks!

TKOmedia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: April 04, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »
Maybe this topic has come up before (I couldn't find it in the thread), but how does Washington & Lee perform on the West Coast markets?  While not positive in which markets I would like to eventually practice, I am from California, and would like to keep that option open for myself.

washdc23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »
Maybe this topic has come up before (I couldn't find it in the thread), but how does Washington & Lee perform on the West Coast markets?  While not positive in which markets I would like to eventually practice, I am from California, and would like to keep that option open for myself.

Someone asked this question to some current W&L students at the ASW I attended. They said you'll have to do a lot of legwork on your own to land a Cali position but it's not impossible. Why wouldn't you go to a school in California?

TKOmedia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: April 04, 2008, 11:38:40 AM »

Someone asked this question to some current W&L students at the ASW I attended. They said you'll have to do a lot of legwork on your own to land a Cali position but it's not impossible. Why wouldn't you go to a school in California?

The only schools I would consider going to in California are Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA and USC.  Since I'm waitlisted for UCLA, haven't heard from USC, and since W&L has offered me a decent merit scholarship, I thought it would be worth checking out all my options.

OldFart

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 04, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »
Apologies if this has been asked before;  I've got to run for work in about five minutes, and just found this forum (and thread), so I can't read the whole thread today. :(

I just read a comment over at LawSchoolNumbers.com about W&L doing something odd during the 3L year, and I'm wondering what's going on.  The user on LSN quipped:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=HopefulInVirginia
Quote from: alltimelow at LSN
With W&L implimenting that wacky 3L program I think I'll pick W&M. It's a safer bet and isn't risking dropping to the bottem of the top tier by doing something drastic like W&L is.

W&L made me a good merit scholarship offer, but this now has me a little worried.  It's the best school to which I've been accepted, and I'd like to go there, provided of course that they haven't just fallen off a cliff or something.

soundsgood

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »
OldFart,

Take a look at the "Reviews/Rankings" section of this website.  I've done my best in one of those threads to explain the new 3L plan.  Also read the comments on Brian Leiter's law blog about the subject - several Professors, including Dean Smolla of W&L, have weighed in on the plan. 

I wouldn't worry about W&L dropping much below its current position - but maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

FWIW, we just had a 1L cocktail reception with a well-respected international firm - everyone I spoke with from the firm thought the idea was a fantastic.  And really - the end goal of most students is to impress employers enough to get a job offer.  Good luck with your decision, hope to see you in Lexington next fall.