Law School Discussion

W&L 1L Taking Questions

Re: W&L 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »
How does W&L place in public interest/prosecutor/PD offices in Virginia?  Is it well connected with state government?

If I don't make the biglaw cutoff I'll be looking for public interest sort of jobs, so that's why I'm curious.

I've often heard that GW does much better with biglaw than W&L, and statistics back that up, but GW also has a huge number of IP people.  If you subtract the IP people and then subtract the people at W&L who want to go back to their smallish Southern hometowns, W&L could very well be even with GW at many NYC/DC firms.  At least I hope.

motorboatinsonofa

• It's all deadly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2008, 10:33:29 PM »
I know this isn't directed to me, but I also chose W&L over GW (and Vanderbilt) last year.  I'm not going to lie - money was the biggest factor in my decision.  I will be out of here with under 30k in total debt barring unforeseen circumstances.  It is debatable about whether W&L or GW is a better school - but I don't think anyone can honestly say GW is worth an extra 100,000+. 

Other reasons - W&L is pretty much as relaxed and collegial as possible for a top 25 school.  You are forced to befriend your classmates, you will study with them, live with them, eat with them, party with them, etc.  (That may be good or bad - sometimes I have to escape Lexington).

It really is beautiful here - I miss the nightlife of a city, but I don't think I will ever have another opportunity to live in the mountains - it isnt bad for 3 years.

Most of the faculty is great - last semester all of my professors were incredibly well respected - amazing to have that much contact with them as a 1L.  In the interest of full disclosure, I'm less than pleased with my professors this semester - just a mishmash of visiting faculty and retired professors.  Regardless, there is a ton of interaction with the faculty, great relationships are forged and it is incredibly valuable for networking purposes.

Career prospects seem to be a big hangup for people about W&L.  It certainly isn't Yale, but if you do well here most any job is available.  I've heard a lot of older students say Top 1/3 should get you DC or New York Biglaw without too much trouble.  A ton of people choose to work in Richmond, Charlotte, Atlanta, Roanoke, etc. as opposed to the bigger cities.  Think about where you want to work - I knew I wanted the Mid-Atlantic or Southeast - W&L has a fantastic reputation in those areas, but GW is probably more nationally known. 

You can't go wrong, If I were you I'd think about money, whether you can handle a small town, and where you want to practice - it comes down to personal preferences.  Good Luck.

I think soundsgood pretty much nails it. 

I picked W&L over GW for a few reasons, namely money, placement in the southeast, and working environment.  While I wasn't as lucky as Mr. Soundsgood, the debt difference was 30K+ which grows even more over time of repayment.  Enough to make me stop and think.

Re: Placement...I'll admit that I think GW is more of a national school, but I want to practice in the Southeast and I don't particularly think that GW would place better in Charlotte, Richmond, Raleigh, etc.  I also think that GW's numbers are a little skewed given its prominence in IP.  Amped - I'd agree that being in DC gives GW the natural networking advantage, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an alumni network as loyal to its own as W&L's.

Finally - I don't think anyone can stress how important it is to do well in your first year (I guess unless you go to a T6 or so..), so you should think about what kind of environment would help set that up.  While I lived in DC before law school, I didn't want to deal with the stress of a big city (metro, traffic, cost of living, etc) while dealing with the stress of law school.  I also had to make major adjustments to my study habits given what a terrible student I was in ugrad so I don't mind there not being a lot of distractions in lex despite its quirks.  And there's always something going on for those that are better able to balance the work hard/play hard mentality. 

Let me know if there is anything else!

« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
Is anyone else going to open house on March 1? I was curious as to what attire would be most appropriate to wear.

« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
Whats the general price range and availability of off-campus housing within biking distance to the law school?

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2008, 03:00:22 PM »
You can get a 1 bedroom within a mile or two of the school for high 400s or low 500s.  If you have a roommate in a house or a two-bedroom apartment, you probably won't spend more than 400.  Current students, please confirm?

« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2008, 03:14:41 PM »
thanks!!

« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
Confirmed. Housing options here are awesome.

Papa Bear

• Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »
If I go to Minnesota will you still love me?

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2008, 08:04:26 PM »
Yep, $600 total for a nice 2 bedroom 5 minutes from school.

And don't go to Minnesota.  I hear it's very cold.

Papa Bear

• Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »
Yep, $600 total for a nice 2 bedroom 5 minutes from school.

And don't go to Minnesota.  I hear it's very cold.

That's true, but it's warming up. :)