Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&L 1L Taking Questions  (Read 23325 times)

rickster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: W&L 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2007, 10:47:41 PM »
Got any interviews lined up for break?

And has it snowed in Lex yet?

No interviews lined up over break for me.  I lucked out and used some connections to get a job this summer. 

Yes, it snowed one beautiful morning...and it was 75 degrees 3 days later.  Good to know that I didn't leave the south...heh.
Washington and Lee '10

LSN

gclemen1

« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2007, 09:53:20 AM »
Thats kinda like here in GA...it was like 80 last week, then one night it just dipped to like 25 for a couple days!
this is true Nike, Lex weather has been crazy.  it was freezing for Christmas Weekend, then for (undergrad) finals week it was in the 70s.  you never know, in the Shenandoah Valley.

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 19, 2007, 10:44:42 AM »
Is el nino back or what?
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2007, 01:49:48 PM »
Being from Atlanta, I'm not a huge fan of the cold - so global warming actually probably benefits me personally than global cooling or global-temperature-consistency would.  For example, I'm pretty interested in trying to go to Chicago after law school, and I could deal with it being a few degrees warmer up there.

A bit solipsistic, but really - if I can't bring about any changes, might as well enjoy what I'm getting, right?
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2008, 01:25:49 PM »
Just a friendly reminder to those who have been admitted that online registration for the Accepted Students Weekends is now up on the website. I went to the ASW during the Dean's Cup Softball Tournament weekend, and I had a blast. If you are unsure about the school I would highly recommend attending--many people who were very hesitant about W&L before the weekend are swayed because of the people they meet here, the quaintness of Lexington and the general culture of W&L Law. I was sold after my visit last year. Additionally, even if you're already planning on coming here, I would recommend coming so you can meet some of your future classmates.
W&L Class of 2010

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2008, 02:21:44 PM »
Long time lurker here that's finally posting a little.  I'm still waiting to hear from W&L (it's one of my reaches), but I'm wondering if any of the 1L's on here can speak to how non-trad students like W&L.  In particular, non-trads with families.  It obviously sounds like a great place for a family, but what I would be concerned about Lexington's location and finding summer work and having to possibly uproot the family each summer.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2008, 07:53:09 PM »
Long time lurker here that's finally posting a little.  I'm still waiting to hear from W&L (it's one of my reaches), but I'm wondering if any of the 1L's on here can speak to how non-trad students like W&L.  In particular, non-trads with families.  It obviously sounds like a great place for a family, but what I would be concerned about Lexington's location and finding summer work and having to possibly uproot the family each summer.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

I'm a 2L with a family (had our first child last summer), and found a job locally.  Lots of people do research for professors 1L summer, a number of Roanoke firms hire W&L 1Ls, and some people do local public interest work.  For 2L summer, though, unless you want to stay in the area long-term, you're probably better off uprooting the family or living apart.  It's worked for me, although my wife has an arrangement where she can work from home, which makes things much easier.  What does your spouse do?

As far as life in Lexington/W&L, I've really enjoyed it here.  There's a fairly active Law Families organization, and the school is in a beautiful area.  Many people would get bored living here long-term, but it's a great place to spend 3 years. 

PM me if you have any more questions.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2008, 01:18:39 AM »
Thanks Alamo. My wife's a photographer but if I get in to W&L and decide to go there, we'd be moving from the Pacific NW so she'd probably need to do something while trying to establish her business. Good info. Thanks again.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »
Why is there no craigslist? It seems like it's going to be a pain to find a place to live coming from out of state!

Yeah, the town is a bit too small to support a craigslist site, but there should be plenty of places available in the local newspaper or through local real estate agencies--there's definitely no shortage of affordable rental units.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »
It's actually really easy to find good housing in Lexington. I waited until mid-July before I even started looking, flew up from Texas for a weekend, made about ten appointments with different realtors for the whole day, and found a place by the end of the day (ironically the very first place I looked at). The realtors here don't exactly have too much to do, so it won't be hard to meet with them and find a place. Kduballstar, I'm guessing you're a fellow Texan based on the schools you've applied to. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about why I chose W&L over Texas schools, how easy/hard it is to go back to Texas to practice, etc.
W&L Class of 2010