Law School Discussion

Your take on LLM

Your take on LLM
« on: September 24, 2004, 09:16:39 AM »
How beneficial do you think is it to get your LLM in the specialty you want to practice in after or concurrent with your JD

noell

Re: Your take on LLM
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 09:18:46 AM »
Not many attorneys in the law firm I work at have LLMs.  The only ones that do are *ALL* of the Taxation attorneys.  So, perhaps, LLMs are important in the Taxation field?

I might persue one, because, I already know I want to do Intellectual Property, and just the chance to study more about it would be wonderful!

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 11:07:25 AM »
I don't see how the cost/benefit analysis could possibly work out for this done concurrently in IP:

Cost of doing the LLM = 40k minimum
Loss of wages for not working = 120k+

So some how that LLM is gonna have to earn you an extra 150-175k and I just don't see that happening.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 11:09:45 AM »
It really depends what angle you're looking at and what the specialty is.  I know that International Law is my #1 and I'd much, much rather get a BCL from Oxford than get an LLM anywhere else for International Law.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 11:39:30 AM »
What about a LLM in Real Estate?

How much more do you think one can make?

Thanks.

noell

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 11:56:25 AM »
Actually, I would kind of like to find a "part-time" LLM program in I.P.  Kind of like Lewis and Clark has with the J.D. program I am applying for.  I will be able to keep my job at the law firm, since their part-time classes are at night.  So, I was hoping to find something like that for an LLM.  If not, then oh well, I won't hold out for one. :)