Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you choose a free ride at DePaul  (Read 1868 times)

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
Would you choose a free ride at DePaul
« on: September 24, 2004, 11:11:15 AM »
I went to a law school fair yesterday here at IU. Picked up about 20 or so school packets, and after reading through them, I have become very interested in DePaul in Chicago. I know its T3, which is pretty bad. I want to go into IP, and their courses seemed amazing. I fell in love with their IP program becauase they offer so much, even a dual JD/LLM in IP. The thing is, i know i can do better. So i conteplating what I would do if i was offered a free ride there, which may happend. I know some great firms recruit there and think I could do really well within my class. BUt the lack of prestige is a bit of a problem for me. Any comments?

Negotiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would you choose a free ride at DePaul
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 11:57:11 AM »
No, I would not. Although I don't know what your numbers are, look at it this way: If you get a free ride to a law school, lets say that is a $90,000 coupon. Now, after you use that coupon, your average starting salary drops by about $30,000-$50,000 if you did not go to a higher ranked school. If you are on the low end, you will make that coupon back in three years, or two on the high end. The better school will open a lot more doors right out of school based on name and rank alone. The difference is so significant that if I get into any of my top 3 schools with no money versus my bottom schools with a full ride, it is not financially wise to take the free ride, and none of the schools I am applying to are outside the top 25, so you can imagine the difference going from Tier 1 to Tier 3 or 4.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 12:01:25 PM »
Exactly.

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 01:21:36 PM »
You're posting a lot, so lets get some info out there:

1)  What is your technical background? (degrees and WE)
2)  What are your numbers (LSAT/gpa)?

hoops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 03:01:17 PM »
You can't attend DePaul with the idea that you WILL get into the top 10%-15% of the class. However, if you could get into the top 10%-15% at DePaul, but not at your other alternative- you can forget a difference in starting salaries.

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 04:37:14 PM »
You're posting a lot, so lets get some info out there:

1)  What is your technical background? (degrees and WE)
2)  What are your numbers (LSAT/gpa)?

1) BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and currently completing MS in Biochem
2) LSAT 165, UGPA 3.08 (damn LSAC) and GGPA 3.6

i know these arent stellar, but i also have an amazing personal statement. I have over come a lot since my childhood, and have used my earlier disadvantages to stengthen the person I've become today

dunson

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 12:32:24 AM »
I hate debt...chose my undergrad because I come out completely debt free...I would choose DePaul.  I'd bet that despite the lower prestige(some stupid facade image which means what exactly?) you could enjoy your classes, do well and get a job in the field you enjoy.  If the pamphlet sparked interest in your gut, don't let the sham of prestige and rankings get in the way of taking a closer look at this school.