Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diversity statement topic?  (Read 426 times)

reese07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Diversity statement topic?
« on: September 18, 2007, 08:19:03 PM »
So, I never considered writing a diversity statement bc I felt it didn't apply to me. Meaning, I'm a pretty mainstream law school applicant. But it seems that from this board, everyone should include one. The only thing that may make me "unique" is that I love to paint. I took advanced art classes in high school but couldn't in undergrad because you had to be an art major. Now it's more of an extracurricular, but I really enjoy it and I'm not bad. Could I write about this or is it completely irrelevant? If this doesn't work, I may just scrap the idea of writing one altogether...any feedback would be great, thanks!

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Diversity statement topic?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »
So, I never considered writing a diversity statement bc I felt it didn't apply to me. Meaning, I'm a pretty mainstream law school applicant. But it seems that from this board, everyone should include one. The only thing that may make me "unique" is that I love to paint. I took advanced art classes in high school but couldn't in undergrad because you had to be an art major. Now it's more of an extracurricular, but I really enjoy it and I'm not bad. Could I write about this or is it completely irrelevant? If this doesn't work, I may just scrap the idea of writing one altogether...any feedback would be great, thanks!

My prelaw advisor strongly advised me against writing a diversity statement unless I was explaining a hardship of some sort.  From LSD, I got the impression that everyone should write a diversity statement about what they would add to the LS class but I think I'm just going to pass on it as well. 

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:16:20 PM »
I would look at what each school asks for...for instance, some schools will explicitly state that if you've overcome some sort of obstacle due to your race, socioeconomic status, sexual preference, etc. then you should include that in a separate DS. However, some schools (can't remember which off the top of my head) define diversity more broadly and will say something like..."if you have special skills, interests, work experience, obstacles overcome, etc. that you think would add to our school's diversity, then please discuss those in a separate statement. blah blah"
3.7ish, 170+

bakongo

• HLS 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 02:54:25 PM »
I feel like writing one with the topic I had in mind (which sounds way better as an idea than in print) would do more harm than good.  Will I be at a disadvantage at Y&S without one?
What idea did you have in mind? As to whether or not you'll be at a disadvantage no one can really say. Your numbers are very strong, so if your PS and Yale 250 are strong as well then maybe you'll be fine.