Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where can I get me some white privilege?  (Read 6515 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I get me some white privilege?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 02:37:01 AM »
Tag. 

As for the OP, I'm not yet convinced that you don't already have it.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 12:06:41 PM »
I saw an old white homeless guy dying on the street the other day.  Think I can buy his white privilege off him?  He seems pretty hard up, I should be able to get a good rate...  ???

You'd probably be able to find it more cheaply at the same place that sells the +15 black LSAT....

It is right next to the store that sells police harassment, poor public schooling, negative imagery in the media, glass ceilings, institutionalized racism, history removal and distortion and racial superiority. Believe it or not it is actually a pretty big store. It is so massive if you aren't paying close attention you might completely miss the store that sells +15 black lsats.
 ;)

uh huh.
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

pontificationkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 02:02:57 PM »
Peggy McIntosh

I'm gonna quote, metatag and re-up this post with all praises due to you for actually responding to an asinine defeatist delusional idiot with something reasonable and logic. This is one of those things about such discussions that astounds me. If one cannot even agree to the reality of a thing generally accepted to be true by most reasonable people then I cannot give any credence to any points of contention we may have.

If one would say, "hey, sure, being white rocks in America but I still don't think _______ is fair" then I might possibly concede to having an  honest discussion about that issue. But to challenge the existence and pervasiveness of white privledge and then want me to actually listen to your opinions about affirmative action makes you a fool and me a bigger one should I engage with you.

I tell you what. I pass a homeless white guy almost everyday on the corner near my home. I refuse to give him a damn thing. And I'm ok with myself about that. Why? Because he's a hot shower and a shave away from reminding some hiring manager or gatekeeper somewhere of his/her son/uncle/brother/dad/friend. I never give white people the warm fuzzies. Even when they like it isn't because I strike a chord of familiarity within them. Therefore I let homeless white men be the bag of other whitefolk. I expend my limited resources on those that don't have nearly as many people losing sleep over -- black women and girls. Someone's got to love them and I save my dollars for them.

If there is no white privledge why do I not see more white folks in such a hurry to see this country become predomiately brown? I mean, if there is no such thing as privledge then one isn't losing anything right? So why the big debate over immigration and birth rates?  ::)

Wow.....your perception of reality is not only distorted, but breathtaking.  Despite your belief that being white entails a free key to the country club, and automatic employment (which is only a "hot shower, and shave away"), you're wrong (and is nothing more than unsubstantiated dogma).  Unlike black americans, white america is not as heavily plagued by automatic group-think/group solidarity.  Therefore, whites are less likely to absorb all members of their group (i.e. criminals, homeless, etc., but also those that are in financially different positions) at any cost.  So in fact, your incorrect perception of reality, actually perpetuates the upward bias in the estimated white privilege effect(s). 

I've noticed these threads usually following a common pattern: someone raises an issue on affirmative action, which is met with a posture of taking sides(though almost always unbalanced), and then followed with cries of black victimization, and forced white guilt.  I'm not sure why you brought up immigration and birth rates, but if you don't understand the reason for the debate, you're either dense or obstinate.

But either way, here's the quick and dirty: blacks make up the largest welfare participants(http://www.sipp.census.gov/sipp/p70s/p70-108.pdf), account for the largest percent of people in poverty (http://www.census.gov/prod/2007pubs/p60-233.pdf), breed indiscriminately (http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/86_births_to_unmarried_women_by_race.html), and whites pay the majority of the taxes.  Also, Data for 2006 show that the poverty rate for recent (non-citizen) arrivals is nearly twice that of natives (http://www.census.gov/prod/2007pubs/p60-233.pdf).....HTMFH

For the Jena 6 supporters, I'll leave a few news links for some consciousness raising.  And believe me, the national media sure is a well-oiled machine for white privilege!:
http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2006/03/02/news/local/doc44068c3392aa3583811251.txt
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/12/ap/national/mainD8MJT5A00.shtml (Quick mental exercise: switch the races of the victims and perpetrators. hate crime?)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 02:51:36 PM »
I think I need a shower.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »
Peggy McIntosh

I'm gonna quote, metatag and re-up this post with all praises due to you for actually responding to an asinine defeatist delusional idiot with something reasonable and logic. This is one of those things about such discussions that astounds me. If one cannot even agree to the reality of a thing generally accepted to be true by most reasonable people then I cannot give any credence to any points of contention we may have.

If one would say, "hey, sure, being white rocks in America but I still don't think _______ is fair" then I might possibly concede to having an  honest discussion about that issue. But to challenge the existence and pervasiveness of white privledge and then want me to actually listen to your opinions about affirmative action makes you a fool and me a bigger one should I engage with you.

I tell you what. I pass a homeless white guy almost everyday on the corner near my home. I refuse to give him a damn thing. And I'm ok with myself about that. Why? Because he's a hot shower and a shave away from reminding some hiring manager or gatekeeper somewhere of his/her son/uncle/brother/dad/friend. I never give white people the warm fuzzies. Even when they like it isn't because I strike a chord of familiarity within them. Therefore I let homeless white men be the bag of other whitefolk. I expend my limited resources on those that don't have nearly as many people losing sleep over -- black women and girls. Someone's got to love them and I save my dollars for them.

If there is no white privledge why do I not see more white folks in such a hurry to see this country become predomiately brown? I mean, if there is no such thing as privledge then one isn't losing anything right? So why the big debate over immigration and birth rates?  ::)

Wow.....your perception of reality is not only distorted, but breathtaking.  Despite your belief that being white entails a free key to the country club, and automatic employment (which is only a "hot shower, and shave away"), you're wrong (and is nothing more than unsubstantiated dogma).  Unlike black americans, white america is not as heavily plagued by automatic group-think/group solidarity.  Therefore, whites are less likely to absorb all members of their group (i.e. criminals, homeless, etc., but also those that are in financially different positions) at any cost.  So in fact, your incorrect perception of reality, actually perpetuates the upward bias in the estimated white privilege effect(s). 

I've noticed these threads usually following a common pattern: someone raises an issue on affirmative action, which is met with a posture of taking sides(though almost always unbalanced), and then followed with cries of black victimization, and forced white guilt.  I'm not sure why you brought up immigration and birth rates, but if you don't understand the reason for the debate, you're either dense or obstinate.

But either way, here's the quick and dirty: blacks make up the largest welfare participants(http://www.sipp.census.gov/sipp/p70s/p70-108.pdf), account for the largest percent of people in poverty (http://www.census.gov/prod/2007pubs/p60-233.pdf), breed indiscriminately (http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/86_births_to_unmarried_women_by_race.html), and whites pay the majority of the taxes.  Also, Data for 2006 show that the poverty rate for recent (non-citizen) arrivals is nearly twice that of natives (http://www.census.gov/prod/2007pubs/p60-233.pdf).....HTMFH

For the Jena 6 supporters, I'll leave a few news links for some consciousness raising.  And believe me, the national media sure is a well-oiled machine for white privilege!:
http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2006/03/02/news/local/doc44068c3392aa3583811251.txt
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/12/ap/national/mainD8MJT5A00.shtml (Quick mental exercise: switch the races of the victims and perpetrators. hate crime?)

Again, if there is no white privledge please explain to me why it is that white Americans want so desperately for this country to stay majority white?

By your logic it shouldn't matter. I mean it's already so easy for people of color to recieve these free rides and white Americans are so accustomed to working hard for everything they have then a demographic change should not matter.

Not only that but why do you not see more white Americans claiming their racial heritage if there is so much benefit in doing so? Why is white even a classification to begin with since no such thing exists biologically? Why did so many Italians, Croatians, Russians, Irish willingly exhange their cultural identity to buy into the whiteness myth if there is not some payoff for doing so?

And who was talking about Jena 6 and hate crimes? What I always notice about these discussions is how blatently white people mischaracterize the arguement, employing straw man and ad hominem attacks to make a point that isn't being contended.

The issue at hand was the existance of white privledge. You inserted every red herring possible and insulted my ability to reason quite nicely. But you did not provide any support for your thesis. You also handedly distored my original assertion that it is far easier for a white person to mimic the majority power structure and thereby gain admittance than it is for one whose outsider lineage is visually apparent. In fact, I find that tactic employed so frequently by white people in such discussions that I would expect nothing less.

Deal with the issue at hand logically and reasonably or shut up about it and save your rhetoric for those who are more likely to provide you the total lack of differing opinion you so obviously prefer.

I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 02:56:43 PM »
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/privledge

You might as well spell correctly.  Please?

Nah. I like to give small minds something with which to occupy themselves.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 03:06:55 PM »
Nah. I like to give small minds something with which to occupy themselves.

:D

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 03:24:15 PM »
Tell me with a straight face that wasn't bothering you. 

I cannot tell a lie.

pontificationkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Yes, her spelling of "privlege" actually was bothering me, though I believe your advice was not directed to
her.  Apparently, honeyhush cannot understand an argument if not delivered with all the subtleness of a hammer. 
I spelled out why "it is that white Americans want so desperately for this country to stay majority white": they
do not want to pay for "diversity".  The point of the links was to specifically dismiss Peggy McIntosh's contentions
of #'s 6, 14, 40 and 30, (ask Rush Limbaugh, and Don Imus about #29), and that the claims of white privilege have
become so deafening that they have become part of the current ideological agenda.  Though any objective person who has stepped foot on a college campus or has read mainstream elementary school textbooks, can attest that Europeans are usually portrayed as a worldwide evil (ironically, how eurocentric).

Remember, YOU made the claim that white americans are a shower and shave away from a job and that "so many Italians, Croatians, Russians, Irish willingly exchange their cultural identity to buy into the whiteness myth". The burden of proof, falls on YOU, not me.  LINK????

And by the way, congratulations on creating a tautological argument.  You start by stating that the existence of white privilege is "generally accepted to be true by most reasonable people", and then simply support it with conclusory language. Sorry, while you definitely score ideological points from the board, and may induce white guilt so as to extract some sort of benefit, I'm not that easily convinced. 

Sounds like you are uncomfortable with hearing the "the total lack of differing opinion".

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 09:59:28 PM »
Though any objective person who has stepped foot on a college campus or has read mainstream elementary school textbooks, can attest that Europeans are usually portrayed as a worldwide evil (ironically, how eurocentric).

I'm not really going to bother with the rest of your nonsensical garbage, but this post is somewhat telling.

Sure, there are efforts to improve upon the accuracy of historical narratives. The fact that you find this threatening  suggests that you're clinging on to something.

And what would that be? ;)
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.