Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggestions for 1L prep  (Read 2998 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for 1L prep
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 08:57:57 AM »
Getting to Maybe

Planet Law School II by Atticus Falcon

much much much later: LEEWS   (www.leews.com)
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 04:06:02 AM »
How to Get a Lobotomy and Chill The Heck Out: Why Worrying About Law School Classes a Year In Advance Annoys Friends, Family and Strangers

I didn't do any pre-prepping for law school and I felt absolutely fine (though I suppose I could be in for a rude shock come December, but we'll leave that on the table for now). But I recognize that some people don't feel in control if they aren't actively doing something. So if you really want to read books, wait until Summer. Focus on getting a better LSAT score; it'll be a far more fruitful activity in the end.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:11:50 AM »
The best prep is no prep.  There is no advantage to be gained by prepping now.

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 11:35:19 AM »
I think if you want to go ahead and get some prep under your belt, read getting to maybe and possibly pick up a barbri first year review on amazon. The barbri book will be great during your 1L classes to keep you on track.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 01:59:20 PM »
Getting to Maybe

PLS?  Seriously?  Have you even read the book?  Have you talked to anyone who is in law school?  They will tell you that PLS is a joke, and that spending forever prepping for law school is ridiculous. 

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 08:48:06 AM »
Getting to Maybe

PLS?  Seriously?  Have you even read the book?  Have you talked to anyone who is in law school?  They will tell you that PLS is a joke, and that spending forever prepping for law school is ridiculous. 

Wow, umm yeah read it.  in school myself.  "spending forever" prepping for anything is ridiculous.  He's sarcastic.  But once you get past that, some of what he says is quite helpful.  I don't think u can prep for LS, its something that u just have to be in to know. But if someone just HAS to prep I suggest LEEWS and PLS.  Then if they really want to go further with their prep-  E & E's.  Maybe read some cases online just to get used to it.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »
You guys can pre-prep to your heart's content, but the people who follow PLS2 style pre-prep are not usually the ones with top grades.

On what evidence did you base this claim?
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 10:25:21 AM »
Getting to Maybe

Wow, umm yeah read it.  in school myself.  "spending forever" prepping for anything is ridiculous.  He's sarcastic.  But once you get past that, some of what he says is quite helpful.  I don't think u can prep for LS, its something that u just have to be in to know. But if someone just HAS to prep I suggest LEEWS and PLS.  Then if they really want to go further with their prep-  E & E's.  Maybe read some cases online just to get used to it.

I didn't do everything Falcon suggested, mainly because by the time I read his book I was only a few months from orientation, but I did manage to get through most of the Examples & Explanations books, plus both of Delaney's books (Learning Legal Reasoning, How to Do Your Best on Law School Exams). 

There is no question in my mind that I am light years ahead of my classmates in my understanding of the material.  There's a lot that is to be ignored in PLS, but if you have the time, the pre-law prep he suggests is great IMO.
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.