Law School Discussion

page length for PS.....can i single space??

page length for PS.....can i single space??
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:55:20 AM »
The personal statement requirement for several of my schools is shorter than my actual ps.  If i shrink the font to 10 point or single space, everything works out fine and i am under the requirement for length.  However, i do not want this to prejudice my ps when it is being reviewed by a admissions individual.

what do ya think?

paratactical

• int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
Re: page length for PS.....can i single space??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 07:36:18 AM »
The personal statement requirement for several of my schools is shorter than my actual ps.  If i shrink the font to 10 point or single space, everything works out fine and i am under the requirement for length.  However, i do not want this to prejudice my ps when it is being reviewed by a admissions individual.

what do ya think?

Don't do it. Double Space. 11 point if you must.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:43:32 AM »
Is it terribly bad to go half a page over the limit?  I have my ps where i want it and cutting come out would not make me very happy.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:29:23 PM »
Considering they give you very few boundaries but conciseness, i'd say its a big deal to hit 800 words.  thats just me tho

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:03:42 AM »
Try to cut it down a bit. Start with using 11pt font (unless directed not to) 1.7 spacing instead of 2. Play with your borders too 1 inch on the sides instead of 1.25. Then cut what you must.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 01:02:27 PM »
Single spacing is a big no no.  Just use an 11 point font.  I know it's hard to write a story of your life/character/interests in just 2 pages, but law schools value writing and editing skills greatly, so they want to see how proficient you are with those skills through your PS.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »
I do remember I saw 1 school that said 2 pages single or double spaced.... but that was only 1 school. In general single is a no-no.