Law School Discussion

Can a diversity statement hurt you?

Can a diversity statement hurt you?
« on: September 13, 2007, 01:32:42 PM »
I am considering attaching a diversity statement regarding obstacles I overcame growing up. I don't have any specifically traumatizing events, but my family did not have money and I was raised in a single parent household. Can detailing these things hurt my prospects?
I don't want to give them a woe-is-me statement, because there are probably people more deserving to do so. Should I include it?

Cabra

• View Profile
Re: Can a diversity statement hurt you?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:08:07 PM »
 A ds that would hurt you might say, "I have some black friends that take me to hip hop clubs so I know about diversity."
But what you've just mentioned is not that kind of diversity statement--sounds like you've got an interesting background worth talking about. In your DS, however, try not to focus on on all you've overcome (at least not centrally) but on how your background and experiences make you a fascinating and unique candidate who will bring a special perspective to the school.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:01:16 AM »
A ds that would hurt you might say, "I have some black friends that take me to hip hop clubs so I know about diversity."

Damn it! Now I have to rewrite mine.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
You gotta know your audience.  If you female dog and whine about how unfair our society is to you because of your diverse background, ppl will feel uncomfortable reading your PS, and that will hurt you.